TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    How does a contempt hearing work?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does a contempt hearing work? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Blah blah? Blah blah blah . . . Wink

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WARNING: The following link is Not Safe For Work:
Bulletproof, the DWI Stud!

Bonus: He is pals with the lawyer that was arrested for forging a magistrate's signature on a jail release.

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lawyer free to appeal sentence

Austin defense lawyer Adam Reposa has been released from jail to appeal his 90-day sentence for contempt.

"If you look at contempt law, every case is the same - you lose at the trial court and you win on appeal," Reposa said Thursday. "I am not going to do a minute of that time."

Details.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, the unrepentant appellant.

Here's an interesting question: he said he made the gesture, but it was not directed at the judge. He gestured at the prosecutor. Isn't that, too, a contemptuous (contemnable?) act?

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnR:
Blogtaters?
[This message was edited by JohnR on 04-17-08 at .]

To me, it's a sortof derisive term relating to the more skewed (in their political or criminal justice opinion) blogger with an idealistic agenda. Sometimes they come up with funny stuff, like not being contempt proof, and sometimes they just blather...yadda yadda yadda.

Sorta like a combo between a blogger and a commentator, or a dictator. Or a dictatorial commentator, if you will.

I think I coined this term, although through google I see there is a blog named blogtater.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnR:
Ah, the unrepentant appellant.

Here's an interesting question: he said he made the gesture, but it was not directed at the judge. He gestured at the prosecutor. Isn't that, too, a contemptuous (contemnable?) act?

In any event, would that make him a contemptater?

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blogtater: like a spectator, only he has access to the internet and tastes better fried with ketchup.

Contemptater: similar to a blogtater only no amount of ketchup can improve the taste.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Philip D Ray:
Blogtater: like a spectator, only he has access to the internet and tastes better fried with ketchup.

Contemptater: similar to a blogtater only no amount of ketchup can improve the taste.

Speak for yourself.

posted Hide Post
COMMENTARY: JOHN KELSO
Doesn't he know Lawyer Rule No. 1?
Don't pull eighth-grade hand stunts in front of robed person who can send you to jail.
By John Kelso
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, April 18, 2008

I feel a little sorry for Austin defense attorney Adam Reposa, who may do some time for being a wise guy.

Oh, I realize the dude should have known better than to make an obscene hand gesture in front of a judge. You do not want to mess with a judge. A guy who has passed the bar exam should know this. I'm not even a lawyer, and I know this much from watching Judge Judy on TV. You just don't make ha ha with a person in a robe.

The rest of the essay.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reposa is already back in court. Read this story for his latest legal work.

posted Hide Post
State Bar Seeks to Fine Solo Over Magazine Illustration

By Mary Alice Robbins
Texas Lawyer
June 03, 2008

An Austin criminal-defense attorney sentenced to 90 days in jail for contempt of court for making an obscene gesture in front of a judge argues in his habeas corpus writ application to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals that the sentence is excessive.

Adam Reposa, a solo practitioner, also argues in his June 2 habeas writ application that he was denied due process and due course of law at the April criminal-contempt hearing and that prosecutors elicited testimony on alleged extraneous conduct by Reposa to focus the attention of the State Bar of Texas on him: "This entire line of questioning was irrelevant to the contempt, but it later became clear that this line of questioning was relevant to state's efforts to complain to the State Bar about Mr. Reposa."

Details.

posted Hide Post
We had Mr. Bulletproof here in Waller County as a defendant on a DWI...he refused everything except being something of a jerk to the officer. This was before the advent of our blood search warrant policy so he did a couple days in jail on a reckless driving as I recall...the young fellow has some serious attitude issues.

Posts: 130 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solo Battles Jail Sentence and Bar Ad Committee

By MARY ALICE ROBBINS
Texas Lawyer
June 09, 2008

Sentenced to 90 days in jail for contempt of court because he made an obscene gesture in front a judge, an Austin criminal-defense attorney has told the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals that the sentence is excessive.

Details.

posted Hide Post
Many years ago I knew that I was looking at being held in Contempt for refusing to bring a Confidential Informant to a Pretrial Hearing.Jeff Van Horn helped me figure out what I needed to prepare so I wouldn't have to spend the night in jail.This is a very uncomfortable process.Hope you will include some forms in case others have Judges who like to meddle with the cases. I didn't go to jail but I did learn that it is good to stand up to some Judges or they will walk all over you.

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been following this contempt threat pretty closely. I'm fighting for a D.A. to not have to turn over grand jury testimony to a judge presiding over a civil case. Any general advice I should know about if he finds us in contempt?
Here's the thread:

https://tdcaa.infopop.net/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=347098965&f=157098965&m=3001015561

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems that Mr. Reposa is not Bulletproof, at least as to protecting his clients. For proof of a DWI conviction, click here.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I've found a potential law partner for Mr. Bulletproof ...

Attorney's Rant Includes Asking Judge If He's a Pedophile; Ends Up in Jail

Excerpt:

... the judgment of contempt that Judge Mountjoy filed on July 24 outlines the following outbursts by Romious:

- Romious "loudly and rudely" asked Judge Mountjoy "if the 'proceeding was a joke' and stated to the Court 'you're going to sit your a** up there."
- Romious accused Judge Mountjoy of "corrupting and stinking up the case" and "corrupting this system."
- When Judge Mountjoy ordered the attorney to appear in court at 8 a.m. on June 18, Romious said "don't hold your breath."
-When Romious did show up on June 18, he at one point asked the judge, "Are you a pedophile?"

The judgment also references an instance where Romious wadded up papers and smashed them with his shoe after taking the documents from his opposing counsel.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get it. Why would somebody do something like that? That just makes no sense to me. Yes, I have sometimes been upset in court - after all, 100% of the time at least 50% of the people in court are going to leave unhappy. But this just makes no sense at all. Bitch out in the hallway or in your car or office all you want, but hollering at a judge like this is just dumb. Its not like the court is going to change its mind and rule for your client just because you told the judge off!!

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some look at this type of behavior and see inexplicable behavior by someone with no sense or judgment at all. Others see a lawyer who might need to be examined for a chemical addiction or mental impairment for the good of his clients.

Behavior that totally strange normally has a physical/mental/chemical/addiction/health cause other than just a lack of good sense.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to an article in next week's Texas Lawyer, the State Bar has filed a grievance against Reposa over the above-described incident.

From the article: "This is fascism," Reposa says of the Bar's grievance.

Details.