TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Unavailable Blood Draw Nurse & Syngergistic effect of controlled substances
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unavailable Blood Draw Nurse & Syngergistic effect of controlled substances Login/Join 
posted
Need a little advice:

Defendant arrested for DWI - agrees to blood draw.

LE gets me the name of the nurse who drew the blood but not their address or phone number. I attempt to subpoena the nurse at the hospital but I am informed they no longer work there. I'm given a phone number by the hospital but its no longer in service.

Defendant's blood is positive for 3 different controlled substances (Defense attorney assures me all 3 are prescribed, of course).

How do I address the absence of the blood draw nurse at trial?

Advice on dealing with the synergistic affect of controlled substances at trial? I've designated the forensic scientist at DPS as an expert already. Just looking for ways to sell his credibility to the jury. I think the defendant is going to look very sympathetic.

Posts: 63 | Location: Henderson, Texas, United States | Registered: December 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have your investigator find the nurse.

Unless the officer personally observed the blood draw.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've proven up blood draws without the nurse when the officer was present to witness the draw. see 734 S.W.2d 766. it's obviously not ideal.

Posts: 104 | Location: Brazos County, Texas | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subpoena her employee records from the hospital then have your investigator track her down.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our investigator is unavailable to track her down.

Officer saw the blood draw occur - so I can do it without him. I'm more concerned with addressing the issue/countering defense arguments related to nurse's absence.

Posts: 63 | Location: Henderson, Texas, United States | Registered: December 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't admit any testimonial hearsay statements of the nurse and there won't be any confrontation clause violations, and remember that chain of custody only requires you to prove the beginning and end of the chain.

Read Layton v. State, 280 S.W.3d 235 (Tex. Crim. App. 2009) for a cautionary tale on what kind of expert evidence you will need for the synergistic effect.

L.

Posts: 21 | Location: Conroe | Registered: May 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZackWavrusa:
Our investigator is unavailable to track her down.

Officer saw the blood draw occur - so I can do it without him. I'm more concerned with addressing the issue/countering defense arguments related to nurse's absence.

Does anyone see a problem here with asking the officer who will prove up the draw attempt to serve a subpoena for the nurse at the last known address of the hospital? Then you can have your officer testify to these facts: A subpoena was issued, they don't work there, they can't be reached. Again, not ideal, but it puts an affirmative finding in the record that their unavailability isn't due to any malfeasance by the state.

Have you tried contacting the Texas Board of Nursing? They may be able to give you updated work information for your nurse.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post