TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    How long does it take to pick a capital jury?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long does it take to pick a capital jury? Login/Join 
posted
I have been involved in one or two death penalty cases, and my experience has been that it takes several weeks to pick a jury with individual voir dire. I've got a case set now where the judge has demanded that we start general voir dire on Monday, hand out questionnaires and get them back, then individual starts on Tuesday, spending 45 minutes apiece on each juror, 10 jurors a day, to conclude on Friday. That's right--do individual voir dire on no more than 40 jurors, get a death-qualified jury, and start evidence the Monday following.

What I'd like to know is, has anyone ever heard of, or tried a death penalty case in which the jury selection took less than one week? What is the average time it takes, for those of you in a position to know? Are there any statistics available on this issue (I suspect not)?

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did it in 9 days once, and everyone thought that was a record. I don't think that included the questionnaire (1 day) and 2 days of group voir dire (half the group at a time). I don't think you can really set a definite time limit per juror. You have to play it by ear, depending on their responses. I would think that your judge would also realize that with someone's life on the line and such a serious case at stake, that fairness to both sides takes priority over expediency.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That seems like the kind of thing you might be reading about in a last minute death penalty writ 10 years from now. But maybe I have that stuff on the brain.

The Lizard Man is innocent!

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We found recently that defense counsel are less likely to agree to strikes based on questionnare answers and want to talk to everybody. This drags it out quite a bit.

Posts: 146 | Location: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1978 - Picked a death qualified jury in four days. People's opinion about the death penalty were not tainted at that time by the press. Most recent death penalty took less than three weeks with the defense counsel not using all of peremptories - be reasonable and understand that the bulk of the jury will consist of people who question the death penalty to middle of the road opinons about the death penalty. Best of luck and keep your head above the arguing.

Posts: 62 | Location: Richmond, Texas, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post