TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Jury Instruction on CCP 13.04 (Boundary of Counties)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jury Instruction on CCP 13.04 (Boundary of Counties) Login/Join 
posted
In a DWI case, officer first observes "bad driving" in a neighboring county and makes the stop just over the county line in our county. I suspect defense may raise some issue about whether the offense happened in our county. I'm covered by CCP 13.04, but wonder if a jury instruction is proper?

Arron P. Swink
Assistant County Attorney
Cherokee County, Texas
apswink@cocherokee.org

Posts: 38 | Location: Rusk, Texas  | Registered: January 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rather doubt the defense will be arguing the offense occurred, but only in the adjoining county. Presumably you can prove that the vehicle was operated in Cherokee County and that any state of intoxication was not suddenly cured by crossing the county line. You should have no need for a "which side of the line" instruction.

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the defense raises venue as an issue, then the judge should instruct them of the relevant law like in any other issue.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Venue instructions are proper. In theory, we could ask for them in every charge, we just usually don't need them. I agree the Judge could (and should) instruct them in the charge of the relevant law, just like any other issue.

Posts: 3 | Location: San Angelo, TX | Registered: April 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post