TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Court Admonishments to a Pro Se Defendant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court Admonishments to a Pro Se Defendant Login/Join 
posted
Can anyone recommend cases to read that indicate what is required for a trial court's admonishment of a pro se criminal defendant to be sufficient for the defendant to proceed to trial without an attorney?

Arron P. Swink
Assistant County Attorney
Cherokee County, Texas
apswink@cocherokee.org

Posts: 38 | Location: Rusk, Texas  | Registered: January 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start with Faretta v. Calif., 422 US 806, 95 S.Ct. 2525 (1975). If you need more case regarding hybrid representation or the role of standby counsel, or anything specific to capital cases,let me know. Have your judge hold a Faretta hearing, admonishes the defendant accordingly, and makes a determination on the record that the defendant is knowingly waiving his right to counsel. I also have a pro se waiver that I get the defendant and judge to sign. Let me know if you'd like a copy.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post