TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    housing another court's defendant?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

housing another court's defendant? Login/Join 
posted
ok my S.O. got a document titled "Jail Commitment" from an "urban" county District Clerk saying that my sheriff is ordered and "COMMANDED" to take into custody a guy sentenced to do 10 days as a condition of his probation. The guy may have had his probation transferred to my county but his sentence is definitely NOT from a court with jurisdiction over my county. Is there a law that governs this? Ever seen this?

Posts: 58 | Location: Anson, Texas, USA | Registered: November 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't really say without doing some research as to whether a judge of one jurisdiction is authorized to require a sheriff of another jurisdiction to house an inmate on a sentence from the judge's jurisdiction. Over the years none of the judges I worked with would have done something like that without consulting the sheriff first. Whenever we had probationers doing time in other jails it was always under an arrangement where the inmate's family paid for the daily keep. Maybe the sheriff needs to send a bill to the sheriff of the judge's county.

Posts: 109 | Location: Llano, TX USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post