TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Intox Assault v. DWI with Child Passenger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intox Assault v. DWI with Child Passenger Login/Join 
posted
First, I'm an investigator with our office and I know I'm on the wrong board so don't hate me but...I am looking for prosecutor's opinions here.

We have a recent case where a female driver had two children under 15 in the vehicle and was involved in a collision after she slowed in the traffic lane to stop to pick up someone walking. All occupants went to the hospital for treatment. Two were released and one of the children was transferred to another hospital with concussion/vomiting/LOC and in "serious" condition.

In everyone's experience, Intox Assault or DWI with Child Passenger? Driver has a prior conviction for DWI also. I'm inclined to go against Intox Assault due to no serious bodily injury (protracted loss, etc...). Just throwing the question out there and any advice is appreciated. Willing to hear any arguments for or against either.

Posts: 17 | Location: Plains, TX | Registered: August 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a prosecutor either, so take this with a grain of salt. Can you prove causation on the intoxication assault?

Posts: 95 | Location: Marble Falls, TX USA | Registered: October 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are not lesser included offenses, so you could use both, one with each victim.

Another avenue we use is Reckless Injury to a Child, BI or SBI, in addition to the DWI based offenses, which, in the case of SBI, is an F/2.

If causation is an issue, you could also consider DWI Child + DW and Endangering a Child + DW, which are both punished as F/3's.

Posts: 51 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary:

Many thanks for the good comments. Here in Yoakum County, on the "frontier" to NMexico We're grateful for the help from our "city/metroplex" brethren. Bill

Posts: 22 | Location: Plains, Texas, USA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome Bill. Happy Thanksgiving.

Posts: 51 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post