TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Mandatory Brady CLE Hour
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mandatory Brady CLE Hour Login/Join 
posted
Everybody in my office has attended, or will attend, one of the TDCAA trainings before the end of June.

My elected thinks that every TDCAA course has the mandatory hour we need. If that's the case, we will all be fine for our Brady requirement. I want to make sure, however, because I don't want to miss out on registering all of us for one of those Brady specific courses.

Posts: 63 | Location: Henderson, Texas, United States | Registered: December 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, this year every TDCAA course will have the mandatory one hour Brady training. In addition, we are doing a free series of ethics regionals (check the training tab on this site) that contains the one hour mandatory training.

Finally, we are producing a one hour webinar that will be available this summer. So should be no problem for everyone to get the needed training.

If you or anyone has questions, just call me at (512) 474-2436. Thanks, rob kepple

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What or who makes this Brady business "mandatory?" Do practitioners in other areas of law or criminal defense folks for that matter have a "mandatory" requirement?

Posts: 130 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See Gov't Code sec. 41.111. This mandate is specific to "attorneys who prosecute felony and misdemeanor offenses other than class C misdemeanors". If our civil or defense colleagues have any similar requirements, I am unaware of them.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the Regional DWI Update put on by TDCAA satisfy this requirement? Just wanted to confirm.

Posts: 81 | Registered: December 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eric,

There will not be a Brady training at the Regional DWI updates, but all of our other courses, including our Brady and Ethics regionals this summer, will have a course that takes care of the 1-hour training requirement.

You can check our whole training schedule here.

Posts: 198 | Location: San Marcos, Tx | Registered: June 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Brumley:
See Gov't Code sec. 41.111. This mandate is specific to "attorneys who prosecute felony and misdemeanor offenses other than class C misdemeanors". If our civil or defense colleagues have any similar requirements, I am unaware of them.

I'm not trying to be contrary about this but what is the propriety of making such a requirement and are there any consequences to not getting the training. I mean if I am hired as an ADA by an elected DA...have the necessary law licence and otherwise keep that licence current, then is it really up to anyone that I should have "training" above and beyond what may be required by my elected?

I guess what bugs me about this is that there is a sort of resumption that Texas prosecutors are ignorant of ethical concerns and must be forced to get this education. It strikes me as punitive. It smacks of forced "sensitivity training" you see in the law enforcement world.

I'll get the training because I believe in what we are doing. But it still bugs me.

Posts: 130 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do we have any idea when the Brady webinar will be up for those who can't make the live class?

Posts: 35 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: March 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
"August" is as specific as we can get right now. That is our target.

Posts: 2424 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post