Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

scent evidence Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've tried three capital cases using Pickett and his canine scent lineups. I would definitely use him again. I was interviewed by the Victoria Advocate reporter writing a story on the canine scent lineups and the lawsuit against Pickett. They didn't use most of my interview. I pointed out that the canine scent lineups are a tool, especially good in the field where the "hard science" standard doesn't apply. And we get convictions with corroboration of that evidence. My cases were good examples. In two cases we had independent evidence corroborating the dogs hit on the defendants in the canine scent lineups. Hence two convictions. In the third case we did not have other sufficient corroborating evidence and the jury acquitted. Another point, the lineups were done in 2004 identifying the suspects. Arrest warrants were issued in 2007 when additional corroborating evidence was obtained. Ranger Grover Huff in Liberty County initially got Pickett to do the lineups. Since then Ranger Ron Duff in Tyler County has used Pickett, identified a suspect, and dna evidence later cofirmed the dogs were correct on the scent lineup.

Posts: 14 | Location: Coldspring, San Jacinto County, Texas, USA | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe in dogs also...my dog taught me everything I know.

Posts: 130 | Location: Hempstead, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another article attacking scent lineups.

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone interested in this issue needs to read
Winfrey
even though it really just held that scent evidence is not alone sufficient to support a conviction.

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post