TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Use of pseudonym in offense report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of pseudonym in offense report Login/Join 
posted
I have a question. If a sexual assault victim requests the use of a pseudonym, does CCP art. 57.02 require the pseudonym be used in the full offense report, or just the first page summary. The statute refers to "public record," but includes no definition. An offense report is a "public record" for purposes of PC 37.10, but is it a public record under Article 57.02.

Janette

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, isn't the answer in 57.02(b)? It says "in all public files and records concerning the offense including police summary reports". Isn't the public part of the police report sometimes described as the "summary" or "front page" for the purposes of the PIA?

[This message was edited by JohnR on 06-02-09 at .]

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm curious... what if the whole thing becomes part of a trial record? Can it be redacted or something?

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the TDCAA Bulletin Boards. The discussions in these user forums are for the benefit of prosecutors and their staff members, although we welcome relevant and appropriate input from other members of the criminal justice and government lawyer community. These forums are NOT a source of legal advice for citizens. Call the State Bar of Texas (1-800-204-2222) for information on seeking legal advice.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Confused This is an inappropriate question?

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not inappropriate Alex. It's just that you are a "layman". Bradley is Bradley.

Posts: 26 | Location: Levelland, TX 79336 | Registered: January 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JA,

Good question, but I've often pondered why the legislation made the Sexual Assault "victim" statutorily defined in the past tense as opposed to the Family Violence "victim" who is in the present tense.

Does it mean that some sort of adjudication, plea deal, verdict, or other final dispositon must take place before the sexual assault victim can even consider the use of a pseudonym?

(A) an offense the commission of which leads to a reportable conviction or adjudication under Chapter 62; or

(B) an offense that is part of the same criminal episode, as defined by Section 3.01, Penal Code, as an offense described by Paragraph (A).

Chapter 57B (Family Violence Victim)
"Victim" means a person who is the subject of:

(A) an offense that allegedly constitutes family violence, as defined by Section 71.004, Family Code; or

(B) an offense that is part of the same criminal episode, as defined by Section 3.01, Penal Code, as an offense described by Paragraph (A).
I've had sexual assault investigations wherein the net result was that the "complainant" alleging sexual assault was not a victim afterall. Those cases were truly fabrications by the complainants so they were not entitled to the pseudonym at the inception of the case but maybe could have been on the backside of the investigation when there was something leading to a reportable conviction as stated in Chapter 57.

(I know, I know--get a life.)

Posts: 46 | Location: Seguin, TX, USA | Registered: April 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As the former president said, "that depends on what your definition of 'is' is." Confused

Actually, just really inartful use of language on part of the legislators. (Hard to believe I know. Eek) Doesn't mean that a defense attorney or someone else couldn't make some hay out of it though. Wink

Posts: 128 | Location: TX | Registered: March 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post