TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Treece
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Treece Login/Join 
posted
I saw this gentleman on TXCN last night, last name was Treece. Did not see the whole segment but he was talking about some of the more infamous cases being tried in Texas this week. One was the murder in Galveston and the other is the triple murder down here in Brownsville. He certainly did not seem to be for the death penalty, and absolutely did not think that justice was the same for a person who did not have a fat wallet. Anybody know him?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is a law professor (meaning never tried a case) for South Texas School of Law. He teaches the moot court teams, and they win a lot of competitions. Over the last few years, he has become a talking head on the cable channels.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is a long time Dean at STCL. He was my Mock Trial/Moot Court coach and taught me Constitutional Law (He is probably very disappointed I'm a prosecutor). He was one of the attorneys in the Pennzoil V. Texaco appeal with Joe Jamail and he usually sides himself with other big dollar PI attorneys like John O' Quinn and Rick Laminek (Breast Implant cases)both of which are his proteges (His favorite students are known as "Treece's Pieces"). He rarely, if ever, does any criminal law. He does, however discuss the Con Law aspects of criminal cases on a frequent basis. To my knowledge has never tried a criminal case.

[This message was edited by Tuck on 09-23-03 at .]

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, never having practiced a real criminal case, he sounds like he knows the ugly truth, money can buy an unusually good defense.

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And money can buy a sound bite. Lawyers, by being paid talking heads instead of getting on a criminal appointment list, remain part of the problem.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He comments on many high profile cases. I remember one interview of him that I watched during the last high profile case in Houston. The jury had been out awhile on punishment and he was asked what happens if the jury deadlocks on punishment. He said there would be a new trial only on punishment. Shows you how much he knows about trial procedure in Texas. I emailed him to let him know that he gave incorrect information. He replied and acknowledged that he was wrong but I never heard him correct the error on television.

Posts: 283 | Location: Montague, Texas, USA | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post