TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Fraudulent Use Identifying Info Motion to Quash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fraudulent Use Identifying Info Motion to Quash Login/Join 
posted
Defense attorney has filed a motion to quash indictment alleging that the state must allege and prove an actual physical "item" under 32.51 of Texas Penal Code. He is claiming that unless there is actual item it violates 6.01 of Texas Penal Code. My judge thinks this attorney is brilliant on these types of issues. I cannot find a case directly on point. I have found several cases which deal with sufficiency of evidence where an "item" is not actually involved to use against his argument. However, I would appreciate any suggestions or cases on this matter.

Posts: 50 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See Long v. State, 245 S.W.3d 563, where a man was convicted for using the credit card information and identifying information of a woman without actually possessing the credit card, just the information he retrieved from a fax.

While it does not specifically construe the term item, the argument can be made that it would be irrational to assume the Legislature intended only to make possession of an item of identifying information a crime, as otherwise a person could escape prosecution for a crime such as in the Long case.

-L.

Posts: 11 | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that is my argument.

Posts: 50 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post