TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Annual- Hurricane Ike
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annual- Hurricane Ike Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
He is a true rock star.

P.S.--I'm anticipating Guitar Hero's Brumley edition any day now.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Newell:
He is a true rock star.

P.S.--I'm anticipating Guitar Hero's Brumley edition any day now.

The Brumley Guitar Hero edition will be available in Galveston.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, we can now let the cat out of the bag...the BIG announcement...the word we've been waiting for...the biggest news since the Monkees reunited for a pudding commercial...

Well, on second thought, maybe I'll just keep it to myself.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Along with the Brumley Guitar Hero release, watch the vendor tables for, you guessed it...
Erik Nielsen's Woodblock Hero in HD. Kids, don't try this at home, he's a trained professional.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wood-block-He-ro!

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or maybe we should say . . . " he sure plays a mean wood - block."

Do you think he'll use his nickname ("Cream") as his stage name during this year's performance?

One can only hope.

Posts: 36 | Location: Kaufman, Texas, USA | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Lane:
Hey, Shannon, in regard to hurricanes in the gulf, we have never had a hurricane in Wichita Falls if you're looking for a safe haven.

Ed, we'll only consider it if you can assure us that the "Wichie" powers-that-be won't turn off the falls while we're there. Big Grin

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cam C:
Or maybe we should say . . . " he sure plays a mean wood - block."

Do you think he'll use his nickname ("Cream") as his stage name during this year's performance?

One can only hope.

Tell us more about his nickname and maybe we will use it!

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got you all beat. Gator Fest is this weekend, but I'm sure for an extra 1000+ attendees, we could do it again.

http://www.texasgatorfest.com/

Of course, we are next to Galveston...

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would be, um, fun Dan, but would they want us to play Amos Moses?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSH:
And come up to Vernon. We have a brand new Holiday Inn Express and some of the best dove hunting in the great State of Texas!

Our restaurant selections include mexican, tex-mex, mex-tex, and hamburgers.

Will Vernon Brown be there?

FROM THE TEXAS HANDBOOK:
"Though sources disagree, Vernon was probably named either for George Washington's Mount Vernon or for a traveling whiskey salesman named Vernon Brown."

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/VV/hev1.html

posted Hide Post
Greg, don't tell me you're scared of an alligator. You haven't lived until you've driven an airboat through the marsh looking for them sunning themselves.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Bradley:
Greg, don't tell me you're scared of an alligator. You haven't lived until you've driven an airboat through the marsh looking for them sunning themselves.

It sounds about as fun as the snake roundup they have in Sabinal every spring.

posted Hide Post
This is the latest from the National Hurricane Center:

I don't think they're kidding about this storm. This from this morning's post by Dr. Jeff Masters, a blogger on tropical weather on the Weather Underground:

quote:
There is a significant chance that Ike will be the worst hurricane to hit Texas since Hurricane Celia of 1970. Ike has the potential to be worse than both Hurricane Alicia of 1983 and Hurricane Beulah of 1967, which hit as Category 3 hurricanes. A good benchmark for comparison is probably Hurricane Celia of 1970. Celia followed a similar track to Ike, and intensified steadily right up to landfall, which came over Corpus Christi as a Category 3 storm with 125 mph winds. Celia inflicted severe damage on Corpus Christi and Post Aranasas, with 80% of all buildings in Corpus Christi damaged or destroyed. Damages totaled to $453.8 million, 15 people were killed, and 466 others were injured, mostly by glass shards from shattered windows. Curiously, the storm surge did little damage. According to the NHC post-storm report, "In the entire area of Corpus Christi Bay, Port Aransas, Aransas Pass, and Copano Bay there was no evidence of major damage due to storm surge alone. Not a single house was washed off its foundation. At Port Aransas many modern expensive homes built on pilings 10' or 12' off the ground were a total loss, but not due to water." The high water marks for Celia were 9.2' and 9.0', measured at Port Aransas Beach and Port Aransas jetty, respectively. The relatively low storm surge and light storm surge damage is not likely to be repeated for Ike, since Ike is at least 50% larger than Celia was, and will generate a higher storm surge spread out over a larger region of coast.

You can read the whole cheery discussion here: Jeff Masters Tropical Weather Blog

I hope they're overstating their case. But I'm praying for our friends from Corpus to High Island.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Don't forget Route 66, the Amarillo Gorillas, Wonderland, and the Tascosa Drive-In theater.

And a place they should have opened before I moved back south - the new Vintage Auto Haus on the Blvd.

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg:

That would be a hog catching contest in Sabinal every Spring.

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, if you will take me to the hog catching in Sabinal, I will bring you to the Rattlesnake Roundup in Sweetwater, the second weekend in March.

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shannon,
In response to your inquiry regarding the feasability of Wichita Falls as an Annual location, I can guarantee you that the Falls will not be turned off during the TDCAA convention here. Also, I might add we have the scenic Red River and Lake Wichita nearby for those who fear they will miss the coast. Nearby towns of Vernon and Holliday add to the resort atmosphere attendees will enjoy here.

Ed Lane

Posts: 22 | Location: Wichita Falls, Texas, United States | Registered: August 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Dodson:
Greg:

That would be a hog catching contest in Sabinal every Spring.

Don't they have a snake festival there too? I remember the wife and I went to Uvalde for a weekend a few years back and while eating dinner in Sabinal, I saw in a local newspaper that they were having some kind of snake roundup that weekend. The wife is not so fond of snakes, and as I was jokingly told her we should just stay in Sabinal for the weekend due to the snake fest.

posted Hide Post
It must have been during the time when we had a "Badlands Festival" in the area. I believe they had a rattlesnake act (basically playing with the snakes by so-called professionals) in conjunction with the festival. We have not had one of those in the last couple of years.
However, if you really want to see some snakes you can meet me in Sweetwater the second weekend in March. Then we can head back to Sabinal the third weekend in March for the hog catching contest. I am sure we could expand our cultural experience at either one. Wink All we would need is a banjo to round out the experience.
Also, I need to amend my earlier comment for accuracy. It's the "World Championship Hog Catching Contest". Remember the prior post titled " Wrastlin' "?

Posts: 106 | Location: Uvalde, Texas | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post