TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Annual- Hurricane Ike
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annual- Hurricane Ike Login/Join 
posted
Any contigency plans for the annual... or is it like a no-hitter and it's bad luck to say anything?

Tina Turner not scheduled to play in Galveston is she? I know, I know bad joke....

Posts: 11 | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A.P., bandleader of A.P. and the Lesser Includeds, has said that the band will play "Come hell or high water".

That's good enough for me.

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 09-08-08 at .]

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things don't look good! Eek

Posts: 293 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AgProsecutor:
Any contigency plans for the annual...?

Prayer.

We will update the front page of the website as events develop.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's right, Greg.
If the Annual gets rained out next week, everybody just come up to the house. I'll tie the dogs up and unlatch the screen door. Walk-ins welcome.
Exit only, at 2854 & I-45.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I could add to everyone's optimism, but I am too busy calling my homeowners/flood/windstorm insurance people!

Posts: 51 | Location: Galveston, Texas USA | Registered: September 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Because we are getting inundated with calls about this, I will add the following:

Ike is scheduled to make landfall several days before the Annual. If it hits Galveston (or near it), the status of the conference will be based upon the situation at that time -- we will not speculate beforehand.

Basically, unless the bridge is down or the island has been evacuated, the show will go on. We will not jeopardize the safety of our staff or attendees, but we also cannot cancel a 1,000-person conference just because a hurricane is in the gulf. Hurricanes are always in the gulf in September.

Of course, I suppose we could avoid such threats by just holding all future Annual Updates in the Panhandle ... Wink

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shannon Edmonds:
but we also cannot cancel a 1,000-person conference just because a hurricane is in the gulf. Hurricanes are _always_ in the gulf in September.

Yeah, it's not like it's something serious like Tom Brady going out for the season with a knee injury. Wink

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recall the speaker gift at the last conference that was interrupted by a hurricane was a TDCAA Umbrella. Perhaps the speaker gift for this year�s conference could be a TDCAA weather radio or a barometer?

Posts: 261 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Georgetown is a wonderful vacation spot. We can put you up in the Holiday Inn Express (or at least some of you), buy you dinner at The Monument Cafe and take you swimming at Blue Hole (if they have fixed it since the last flood).

So, what does your jurisdiction have to offer that would be right for the Annual?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
Y'all could come up to Gilmer for the Yamboree and dine at Doc's Hot Links.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Banjo player.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the weather in the Gulf, this thread has suddenly taken an ugly turn.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, Shannon, in regard to hurricanes in the gulf, we have never had a hurricane in Wichita Falls if you're looking for a safe haven.

Ed Lane

Posts: 22 | Location: Wichita Falls, Texas, United States | Registered: August 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And come up to Vernon. We have a brand new Holiday Inn Express and some of the best dove hunting in the great State of Texas!

Our restaurant selections include mexican, tex-mex, mex-tex, and hamburgers.

Posts: 146 | Location: Vernon, Texas | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wichita Falls has an actual falls, although it is not a natural falls, having been built to match the city's name. More importantly, for tourists, though, is the opportunity to view the world's smallest skyscraper.

posted Hide Post
In year 2008 hurricane named for famous warrior and general of armies comes ashore near villages at mouth of Great River separating peoples known as Texicans from peoples known as protectorates of the Sun God.

It is so written.

(That's Brownsville, for the unenlightened.)

Posts: 39 | Registered: March 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amarillo, Texas: Home to almost 200,000 friendly folk and probably twice as many head of cattle in the greater metropolitan area (including Hereford); no hurricanes -- not even any tornadoes (this time of year); very near a really big hole in the ground (the second largest in these here United States); just a few miles from where the majority of our country's outdated newcyeluhr arsenal is disassembled (and a good chunk of it is assembled); near a large lake with well over a sixth of its water still remaining; the Cadillac Ranch and the Big Texan (you know a bunch of you wanna try to knock down the 72 oz. steak dinner in less than an hour in order to get it au gratis); home of the ULB (independent minor league baseball) champeeen Amarillo Dillas; an actual 31-story building (though I can't speak to its occupancy); dozens of hotel rooms and Stanley Marsh 3. Saaaa-lute!

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always admired the Cadillac Ranch and took my kids by there on a trip to Palo Duro Canyon. So Texas to have a bunch of cars with their noses in the ground in the middle of a corn field.

posted Hide Post
And, Amarillo is home to the world's only elected County Attorney who knows all the words to "Jenny 867-5309" and can scream them on key, while playing bar chords with one broken string in the dark on a borrowed guitar during a heat wave amid the scrutiny of two girl singers and a few old guys on lesser instruments.