TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Annual- Hurricane Ike
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annual- Hurricane Ike Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don't know how to play the banjo, John. But then again, that is sortof the definition of a banjo player, isn't it? Wink

As for snakes, the most rattlesnakes I have ever seen in person was about 10 years ago in Matagorda, when a jeep I owned knocked the side off of a sand dune, revealing a snake's nest full of large writhing critters.

No real need to see a snake anytime soon.

Interestingly enough, a "customer" just walked in the door with a gatorfest T-shirt on.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always heard about and wanted to atttend the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup. TDCAA should have Shannon deliver a mid-Legislative Update there so we can all go and get CLE credit. Maybe Clay could speak on the ethics of rattlesnakes.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Andria Brannon>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Lane:
Shannon,
In response to your inquiry regarding the feasability of Wichita Falls as an Annual location, I can guarantee you that the Falls will not be turned off during the TDCAA convention here. Also, I might add we have the scenic Red River and Lake Wichita nearby for those who fear they will miss the coast. Nearby towns of Vernon and Holliday add to the resort atmosphere attendees will enjoy here.

Ed Lane

Thank you Mr. Lane for that endorsement of Wilbarger County. I would like to add to what Mr. Heatly said earlier in that Vernon would be a great place for any conference. Instead of a golf tournament, we could host feral hog hunting and who needs a fancy-schmancy reception when you can have a cook-out on the Pease River?

These thoughts brought to you by your new TDCAA Research Attorney - a native Vernonite...and yeah, I went to high school with Heatly, so I've got the dirt.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I suggest Lubbock. It has plenty of nice hotels, a great civic center with lots of meeting space and--very important as any one who ever attended an event at the State Theater in Austin--lot of bathroom space. There are actually some very good restaurants in Lubbock including Italian and Tex-Mex. And of course there is the Ranching Heritage Center (a must see) and the Buddy Holly stuff. Finally, weather in September is usually great with warm days, cool nights, few mosquitos, and gorgeous sunsets.

Janette

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the insanity, Andria. We'll try not to run you off screaming for at least a couple of weeks. (And might I say you have a great name. Smile)

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
quote:
As for snakes, the most rattlesnakes I have ever seen in person was about 10 years ago in Matagorda, when a jeep I owned knocked the side off of a sand dune, revealing a snake's nest full of large writhing critters.

Don't you just hate it when vehicles run off and do things on their own like that? I had a motorcycle once that did spiteful stuff, too.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andria Brannon:[QUOTE]

These thoughts brought to you by your new TDCAA Research Attorney - a native Vernonite...and yeah, I went to high school with Heatly, so I've got the dirt.

Since you are from Vernon, can you resolve the controversy regarding how the town got it's name?

FROM THE TEXAS HANDBOOK:
"Though sources disagree, Vernon was probably named either for George Washington's Mount Vernon or for a traveling whiskey salesman named Vernon Brown."

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/VV/hev1.html

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Andria Brannon>
posted
I would like to think that it was named for the home of such a revered historical figure as the Father of Our Country. However, I can't be sure. Judging from some of the things that I've seen in and around Vernon, it might just be for the notorious whiskey peddler.

More at http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Vernon/vernon.htm#name

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Bob Cole>
posted
THAT'S FUNNY!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Gilleland:
quote:
Originally posted by Andria Brannon:[QUOTE]

Since you are from Vernon, can you resolve the controversy regarding how the town got it's name?

FROM THE TEXAS HANDBOOK:
"Though sources disagree, Vernon was probably named either for George Washington's Mount Vernon or for a traveling whiskey salesman named Vernon Brown."

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/VV/hev1.html

Greg-

Andria and I, both native Vernonites, know better than to weigh in publicly on the "Vernon Brown" v. "Mount Vernon" controversy. That controversy has divided households (and churches) in this community for decades.

However, I would be happy to share my thoughts with you on the Vernon controversy at the annual conference, whenever that takes place. Perhaps over two fingers of an amber colored liquid poured over a couple of cubes of ice? (Of course I am talking about iced tea.)

Posts: 146 | Location: Vernon, Texas | Registered: February 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, and you're on!

As a decades long student of Texas history, that particular point of controversy had escaped my knowledge. But I found it most hilarious that the entry would make it into the Handbook.

I read on a website about your town that there is some controversy over whether Vernonite is a proper term. I can't imagine another alternative, can you?

posted Hide Post
Vernonian, of course.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shannon-

Since you are in constant contact with the hotel, are they answering right now? :-O

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Don't bother calling any of the hotels in Galveston, there is no one there to answer the phones. (Some of 'em are here in Austin riding it out right now!)

We are scheduled to speak with our hotel and convention contacts on Sunday or Monday, after they have returned to the island and surveyed the damage. We will post updates on our website no later than noon on Monday.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That should be a short conversation. Galveston will soon no longer be an island.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, so what can Georgetown offer us as an alternative? We already know that nude dancers is off the table.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we have spelunking in the Inner Space Cavern. Bike riding on a trial along the San Gabriel River. Shopping at the new IKEA. What else do you want?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we have spelunking in the Inner Space Cavern. Bike riding on a trial along the San Gabriel River. Shopping at the new IKEA. What else do you want? Oh yeah, nice cup of coffee on the square.

posted Hide Post
Golf? And we'll even wear clothes.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post