TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Testifying in Belize
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Testifying in Belize Login/Join 
posted
To all of you on the board,,,Wife and I just returned from a fun trip except for our resort room being burgularized. Briefly, I was on the porch reading , wife was in the bathroom and a man came out of the front door of our villa claiming to be with the resort. I spoke with him for a few seconds and he left. Putting two and two together and determing (from the resort staff) that he was not indeed a resort employee the resort staff along with neighboring resorts and the police captured the guy. I went to the police station and was able to identify him and the stolen items from my room (camera etc.) were returned to me. The police have asked me to return in a few months to testify. Police sgt. said that the man would receive ten years IF CONVICTED. The police have my signed statement yet have encouraged me to return for the trial. I believe that I should however my concern is that if I do return (at my expense) the defense attorney may ask for a continuance or something similar and the court date would be moved leaving me unable to return again on the proper date. The police (prosecutor) assured me that I would have at least thirty days notice prior to making the trip down. I am sure that this man has done this in the past and will continue to do this in the future. I asked the locals from management to staff what they thought and all said they would appreciate my testimony as this type of crime hurts their business. My own feelings resort to the FACT that the man didn`t just pick up an item off of a chair exterior to my room but actually entered my room and it could have gone very badly not only for us but for ,God forbid, another family maybe with children. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Posts: 15 | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure part of the reason this criminal targets tourist is his hope that his victims will be unwilling to return to testify. I sympathize with your dilemma, and if I were in your shoes I would not be above asking for help with travel expenses from the prosecution, but I would do whatever I could to see the case through.

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not a dilemma for me to return. I may have not expressed myself correctly. I was looking for input from all you highly educated experienced pros on how to go about being the best witness possible. I`ve never had to do this before let alone in a foreign country. They have asked me to return WITH the camera and other items which I can easily do. As far as a burden to me, I don`t believe catching 40 inch barracudas all day on light tackle will be much of a burden. The food was awesome even though lobster season was closed. It doesn`t appear to me that the defendant will have the best defense money can buy however I didn`t want to be blindsided by my inexperience either.

posted Hide Post
Maybe the hotel will pick up part of the tab if you return to help them send this guy away!

Also, did you try searching Google for something like "how to testify in court?"

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, it sounds like you want testifying tips. Let me give you my top two:
1. Tell the truth. This sounds straightforward, but it's a little more complicated than that. If you don't know, don't guess. "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer if it is true. Listen closely to each question and answer that question as directly as you can.
2. Don't try to be an advocate. You're only a witness. Your job is to tell the truth, not advocate for a particular result. That's the lawyer's job. If you try to advocate for a result rather than simply answer the questions that you're asked, you will not enjoy cross examination.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 280 | Location: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: March 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help! I did need some input. The resort will give me a bit of help on the bill and I`ll be happy for it. This is just one of those times to step up and I didn`t want to waste the chance to help the fine people of Belize.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tip: lay off the Belikin until AFTER the trial. Wink

We haven't been back in several years, but I've read that crime in Belize is increasing along with the increase in tourism and emigration. Very sad.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shannon. I actually felt very safe wandering around during the day and night. This guy was apparently known to the police and we just happened to be the unlucky party. I would go back anyway as we had a great time and the biliken IS pretty good!

posted Hide Post
ACE, you might wanna be cautious down in Belize.

Back in the 1980's, many of my law professors sought and obtained law licenses there, with the thought that they might retire there and practice some law in paradise. To my knowledge, the increase of crime there has led all of them to reconsider that plan.

A late defense attorney friend of mine from Houston operated a pepper raising plantation there, and then bottled hot sauce (it was very good and very hot) from his various peppers. About ten years ago I asked him about crime there, and he said it wasn't a problem as long as you were armed all the time.

From the US State dept page:

CRIME: The incidence of crime, including violent crimes such as armed robbery, shooting, stabbing, murder, and rape, is on the rise. The Embassy has noted an increase in recent years in reports of crimes against tourists at resorts and on the roadways and river ways. The incidence of crimes such as theft, burglary, purse snatching and pick pocketing rises around the winter holidays and spring break. Several victims who resisted when confronted by criminals have received serious personal injuries, including gunshot wounds. Although the majority of reported incidents are in Belize City, crime occurs in all districts including tourist spots such as San Pedro, Caye Caulker, and Placencia.

Sexual harassment and/or assault of females traveling alone or in small groups have occurred this past year. Several American travelers have been the victims of sexual assaults in recent years. One of these occurred after the victim accepted a lift from an acquaintance, while others have occurred during armed robberies in resort areas. One of these assaults has resulted in the death of the victim.

The Embassy recommends that visitors travel in groups and only in daylight hours, stay off the streets after dark, in urban and rural areas, and avoid wearing jewelry, or carrying valuable or expensive items. As a general rule, valuables should not be left unattended, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Care should be taken when carrying high value items such as cameras, or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women�s handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

If traveling by taxi, use only vehicles with green license plates, do not get in a taxi that is occupied by more than the driver, and do not let the driver pick up additional fares.

Armed robberies of American tourist groups occurred during the summer of 2006 in the Mountain Pine Ridge and Caracol regions of the western district of Belize. Due to increased police patrols, coordinated tours among resort security managers, and the arrest of two of the "highway bandits," there have not been any additional robberies since June, 2006. In the past, criminals have targeted popular Mayan archeological sites in that region. Visitors should travel in groups and should stick to the main plazas and tourist sites. Although there are armed guards posted at some of the archeological sites, armed criminals have been known to prey on persons walking from one site to another. Victims who resist when confronted by these armed assailants frequently suffer personal injury.

Travel on rural roads, especially at night, increases the risk of encountering criminal activities. Widespread narcotics and alien smuggling activities can make remote areas especially dangerous. Though there is no evidence that Americans in particular are targeted, criminals look for every opportunity to attack, so all travelers should be vigilant.

Rather than traveling alone, use a reputable tour organization. It is best to stay in groups, travel in a caravan consisting of two or more vehicles, and stay on the main roads. Ensure that someone not traveling with you is aware of your itinerary. Travelers should resist the temptation to stay in budget hotels, which are generally more susceptible to crime, and stay in the main tourist destinations. Do not explore back roads or isolated paths near tourist sites. And remember always to pay close attention to your surroundings.

Americans visiting the Belize-Guatemala border area should consider carefully their security situation and should travel only during daylight hours. Vehicles should be in good operating condition, adequately fueled, and carry communications equipment. Persons traveling into Guatemala from Belize should check the Country Specific Information for Guatemala and the U.S. Embassy web site at http://guatemala.usembassy.gov for the latest information about crime and security in Guatemala.

A lack of resources and training impedes the ability of the police to investigate crimes effectively and to apprehend serious offenders. As a result, a number of crimes against Americans in Belize remain unresolved. Nonetheless, victims of crime should report immediately to the police all incidents of assault, robbery, theft or other crimes as well as notifying the U.S. Embassy in Belmopan, telephone 822-4011(after hours and weekends 610-5030). Tourists may contact the Belizean tourist police unit in addition to the main police office for assistance.

In addition to reporting crimes to local police, American citizens should report all criminal incidents to the U.S. Embassy in Belmopan, telephone 822-4011 (after hours and weekends 610-5030). The embassy staff can assist an American with finding appropriate medical care, contacting family members or friends, and having funds transferred, as well as in determining whether any assistance is available from the victim�s home state. Although the investigation and prosecution of the crime is solely the responsibility of local authorities, consular officers can help explain the local criminal justice process and assist in finding an attorney if needed.

Drug use is common in some tourist areas. American citizens should avoid buying, selling, holding, or taking illegal drugs under any circumstances. Penalties for possession of drugs or drug paraphernalia are generally more severe than in the U.S.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee thanks Greg. I'm headed to Belize next month, and now I'll have all your admonitions dancing in my head.

I do have to say, however, that I am quite impressed that the Belizian authorities and the resort are taking ACE's theft case so seriously. My very nice underwater camera walked away from a resort in Costa Rica a year or so ago, in much the same way as ACE's, i.e., it was obviously an inside job. I found the resort and authorities to be maddeninly nonchalant, the general answer being something along the lines of "yeah, so? Wadya expect us to do about it?" Mad

Posts: 280 | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg,

Take anything the State Dept. says with a big block of salt. I think they were saying similar things about Zimbabwe when I lived there, and it was, for the most part, a lot safer than Houston at that time.

Towards the end of my time there, things were getting pretty repressive. I got "detained," under the emergency regs of the Law & Order (Maintenance) Act. When I reported this to the US Consulate she said, "I heard the craziest story about you!" Clueless. I think the State Dept. would prefer that all Americans stay State-side, and leave the traveling to themselves.

If you want to know what the traveling situation is like, call up a youth hostel in that country and ask them. They'll have a better idea than the State Dept.

Posts: 686 | Location: Beeville, Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: March 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what was the crazy story about you that she had heard?

And who could imagine Zimbabwe not being safe for Americans in the 1980's? Wink

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 03-11-09 at .]

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post