TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Jury Charge for law of parties
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jury Charge for law of parties Login/Join 
posted
I am trying a case that relies mostly on the defendant's involvement as a party to an offense (we are relying on encouraged.)
Does anyone have good clear jury charge language?
Any suggestions for how to present this to the jury in a way that is clear and understandable for the general public?
Any brilliant voir dire examples or hypotheticals?
Looking for suggestions for how to address this at trial!
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!

Katherine McAnally

Posts: 30 | Location: burnet, texas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your email.......

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite way to explain LoP on encouragement is this: You are sitting in your home, watching TV, when your neighbor comes in and says that he is going to kill his wife. You tell him that you think it's a good idea, because she should have met the Lord long ago. You tell him to be quick about it, and try to do it in an open field far from home, where the body is not likely to be discovered, and the evidence will be slim. You also tell him to destroy the weapon, and never speak of the crime to anyone, no matter what. You tell him to be merciful, though, and put one in the back of her head. You really mean what you say, and know the neighbor is going to kill her. He does just that...........

You are guilty of murder.

Now, will a jury buy off on your guilt?

Usually, "encouragement" cases are most successful (from what I have seen) where the party is at the scene and says something like "cap his ass", or in gang rape situations where the party is cheering everyone on, etc...... Give me the facts and let's see what we can come up with....

Posts: 218 | Location: The Border | Registered: April 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post