TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    naming "owner" for burglary of a school.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

naming "owner" for burglary of a school. Login/Join 
posted
I have a juvenile that was caught trying to break into locked cabinets in a school that contained school property. Who/What should I allege as the owner of the property?

Should I allege the School District? I've seen a teacher or superintendent named before, but technically, they are not the owner of the property.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 20 | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always allege a human being - anyone (usually an administrator, principal or SRO) who has a greater right to possess or control access to the property.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A principle or assistant principle could do for the whole school. A supertindent could represent the entire school district and all district owned buildings.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the others, I always use a sup or the assistant principal or principal.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always named the legal entity (i.e. the store or school district, etc.) because I have found from personal experience that jurors can more easily equate the name of the entity as the rightful owner versus the name of an employee.

Please don't ask how I gained this personal experience from my baby prosecutor days.

Posts: 24 | Location: Odessa, Texas | Registered: August 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post