TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Tx sexual device prohibition violates 14th
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tx sexual device prohibition violates 14th Login/Join 
posted
The 5th Circuit has ruled that Texas restrictions on promoting or selling sexual devices violate the 14th Amendment:

http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/06/06-51067-CV0.wpd.pdf

All those highway triple-X stores must be rejoicing. But given the conflict between circuits on this issue,and the dissenting opinion here, maybe this case is headed for the SCOTUS.

JAS

[This message was edited by JAS on 02-13-08 at .]

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, substantive due process. Anyone remember that phrase from law school?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just can't imagine having this law review article on your resume:

Danielle J. Lindemann, Pathology Full Circle: A History of Anti-Vibrator Legislation in the United States, 15 COLUM. J.GENDER&L. 326, 327�30, 336�41 (2006).

I'm guessing thats quite a topic of conversation during interviews.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does that particular law review article get mailed in a brown paper bag?

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do remember substantive due process! Doesn't that loosely translate as "Watch, we're about to pull something out of our butts?" Or perhaps to put it more politely, "We don't like this law so we're putting on our legislature hats."

Posts: 49 | Location: Midland, Texas, USA | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[Tim] ["Watch, we're about to pull something out of our butts?"]

Maybe this quote should not be in this particular thread...

Posts: 69 | Location: Longview, Texas | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Now THAT was funny.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[Tim] ["Watch, we're about to pull something out of our butts?"]

[Aggregate] ["Maybe this quote should not be in this particular thread..."]

This thread should be limited to discussions concerning members and their issues.

Posts: 188 | Location: Lubbock, Texas USA | Registered: October 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that portion of the trial evidence didn't make it into the appellate record.

Posts: 49 | Location: Midland, Texas, USA | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post