TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Asperger's Syndrome in an Insanity Defense
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asperger's Syndrome in an Insanity Defense Login/Join 
posted
I've charged a defendant with two charges of Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child and Indecency with a Child. His defense attorney is now raising an insanity defense asserting that as a result of Asperger's syndrome he did not know that his conduct was wrong. Has anyone dealt with Asperger's as a basis for an insanity defense? If so, what was the result? And can anyone recommend a forensic psychiatrist in the Houston area for the court to appoint for the evaluation of the defendant?

Posts: 4 | Location: Fort Bend | Registered: April 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know Asperger's is considered an autism specturum disorder and there are various degrees of impairment, but I can't imagine that it would rise to the level of legal insanity. Remember it has to be a "severe mental disease of defect" and there has to be a causal connection between his actions and his illness, and because of the mental illness he doesn't know his conducet is wrong. I doubt it. Subpoena his school records and any doctor/therapist records you can get your hands on. Especially with a crime like this, he's going to have a hard time. He's proabably not having a hallucination telling him to molest a child.

Posts: 515 | Location: austin, tx, usa | Registered: July 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jane. You might look at the definition of a "mental illness" in Tex. Health& Safety Code 571.003(14) which requires that the condition "substantially impairs a person's thought, perception of reality, emotional process, or judgment...or grossly impairs behavior." Secondarily, look at Bigby v. State, the controlling case on insanity. 892 S.W.2d 864 (Tex. Crim. App. 1994).

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, on forensic psychiatrist. While the statutes permit either psychologists or psychiatrists qualified under 46C.102, I just gave Natalie S. the name of Andrea Solar, MD, board certified and at Baylor as an option.

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for the information and the suggestions!

Posts: 4 | Location: Fort Bend | Registered: April 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well I can't spell, either, as it is "Andrea Stolar, MD". ....