TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Military Service Web Site
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Military Service Web Site Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know if there is a web site where you can check for someone's military service or service status? We've had some calls from folks who swear it exists, but wants our help to find it. I haven't had any such luck. Anyone know anything here?

Thanks, rob kepple

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rob,
There used to be a Locator for Armed Services but as far as I know it disappeared with quick and easy airline boarding- for obvious reasons.

Posts: 61 | Location: Lubbock, Texas | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the website I used when I needed to get a copy of my military records.
http://www.archives.gov/research_room/obtain_copies/veterans_service_records.html

Hope this helps

Posts: 37 | Location: Tyler, Texas | Registered: October 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rob

Are you trying to find someone currently on active duty, or someone who has been discharged?

If you are looking for a witness, the service branch can help you out.

Posts: 31 | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe we have a forclosure/seizure situation, and the court wants proof that our defendant ain't on active duty somewhere....

Posts: 273 | Registered: January 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he's in the Army, try Active Duty World Wide Locator

This will only work for active duty Army soldiers and not Reserve Soldiers who are called up to active duty. You may also want to try the Army's Human Resources Command at (317)510-3735.

I'm sure the other branches of service have similar resources.

Posts: 7 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: May 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even if you are able to locate something on the web, I would still be apprehensive about swearing as to whether or not a respondent is in the military.

In the event that you can't determine, all that is required is that the Judge appoint an attorney to represent the Respondent (similar to a citation by publication situation).

If the case is solid, this shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred of bucks and may be the easier solution.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That might not be sufficient. Check the provisions of the Soldier's and Sailor's Civil Relief Act, 50 App. U.S.C.A. Sections 501, et seq.

It applies to civil actions involving active duty military (to include Reserve and National Guard personnel while serving on active duty).

The act provides for discretionary stay of proceedings. The courts will determine whether military service materially affected the servicemember's ability to take or defend an action in court.

The person suing the servicemember must provide an affidavit stating the defendant is not in the military before taking a default judgment. The court, as stated above, will appoint an attorney to represent the defendant's interests (usually by seeking a delay in the proceedings).

Finality of the judgment can become a tough issue. If a default judgment is granted, the judgment may be reopened within 90 days of the servicemember leaving active duty, shows that he or she was prejudiced, and shows a legal defense.

Tread carefully.

Bob Cole
Asst. D.A. Harrison County currently on loan to the U.S. Air Force

[This message was edited by B Cole on 07-09-04 at .]

Posts: 31 | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Military.com has a "buddy locator" link that pulls from registered members as well as DOD resources. Covers all branches, incl. Coast Guard. Free membership required to access this portion, so expect some junk mail as the trade-off. However, I wouldn't bet the bank on it because it is not that detailed as it responds to a name search.

Posts: 73 | Location: Richmond, TX | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the district judges were given a memo from Rex Hall, Associate General Counsel that covers the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act. We are requred to file an Affidavit that the Respondent in our Forfeiture Suits is not an active servicemember before a default judgment can be entered.I have requested help from our Senator's office but it is very slow in coming. What about advising officers to include the simple question in the interview when there are drugs and/ or vehicled that will be seized.If anyone needs the Memo that describes the Act let me know and I'll send it to you.

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post