TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Writ of Habeas Corpus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writ of Habeas Corpus Login/Join 
posted
I am drafting a response to an application for writ of habeas corpus that a defendant has filed asking the court to set aside a judgment for a class c drug paraphernalia charge. Defense counsel's argument is that she paid the collection agency the past due fine and she did not realize that (1) she was essentially pleading guilty and (2) that the conviction would jeopardize her status as a US citizen. Further that the collection agency (a law firm) misinformed her by not disclosing the above info and that the agency, under Padilla, had a duty to inform her of the consequences of paying the fine.

Has anyone seen this issue? I have formulated a response, but wanted to see if there are arguments that I am missing. Thanks in advance.

A. Strauss

Posts: 3 | Registered: April 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Have you read the original citation that (I assume) she signed? There might be some helpful language in it.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your email.

Posts: 119 | Location: Chambers County Texas | Registered: March 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post