TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Getting Smarter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Smarter Login/Join 
posted
Got a bit of grant money floating around that our 2 person office is going to use to buy some books to improve our smarts and trial techniques. Before anyone pimps TDCAA's books, we have just about all of them and are in no need of more. Any recommendations out there for good texts/manuals dealing with trial techniques? Voir dire? Cross? Experts? Anything?

Posts: 77 | Location: Montgomery County, Texas | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean you don't want a home set of TDCAA books?

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, but do you have an autographed set of TDCAA books? Big Grin

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about some of the civil text from connors? You never know when those civil questions are going to come up.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A laminated QuickLaw for everyone in the county. Excellent stocking stuffers during the holidays.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Volumes 35, 36 and 36A of Texas Practice by David Brooks covering County and Special District Law (Thomson/West Publishing)is handy to have to give you a starting point for answering questions posed by county officials.

And don't forget that the TDCAA Offense Report Manual is free!

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or a Ken's Cap.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For all those questions that can arise before, during, and after trial. This book is my bible on punishment. When the Perfect Plea doesn't address something,I turn to Texas Punishment. IMHO, it is an excellent asset.

And JB really isn't paying me anything to tout the book--I just can't remember all that punishment stuff.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever so helpful. I just burned my copy of the perfect plea as a coping mechanism for all of your sarcasm. I will check out Texas Sentencing, though. Thanks for the heads up, JAS.

Posts: 77 | Location: Montgomery County, Texas | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Texas Practice 6,7,8 by Blackwell & McCormick for jury charges and forms. LaFave's criminal procedure for federal law on grand jury, 5th, 6th amendments--very helpful for deep research on issues.

I used to pimp the Texas Rules of Evidence Handbook when Judge Cochran edited it, but someone else is doing it now. <<sigh>>

Grimes Criminal Law Outline for digested supreme court cases on our issues.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with John, the Grimes book is also very useful and on my shelf.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The white Baker's books are excellent.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post