TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Sex change for inmates--at your expense???!!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sex change for inmates--at your expense???!!!!! Login/Join 
posted
An inmate serving a life sentence wants a sex change at taxpayer expense. Why is this even being entertained? What is wrong with the world!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SEX_CHANGE_INMATE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm sure there are a few inmates that would perform the operation on him at no expense to the taxpayers.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the harvest reaped from SCOTUS's injection into prison jurisprudence, a-la Wilson v. Seiter, of the oh-so-precise standard of "evolving notions of societal decency." To truly get a picture of the legal legerdemain at work here, let's try to bring this idea a little closer to home. I'm bald. That's depressing. My county insurance won't pay for me to have hair transplant therapy. That compounds my depression. But, under the theory of this case, should I go to the greybar Hilton for a long time, the taxpayers would fund my therapy at no cost to me in order to to vindicate my constitutional rights and relieve my suffering. As Chief Justice Gray would say, "balderdash!"

As Eighth Amendment law currently stands, prison officials are required only to avoid deliberate indifference to the serious medical needs of an inmate. They are not required to secure the latest, greatest or even the inmate's preferred therapeutic regimen. They only must act to prevent harm the potential of which they are subjectively aware. That means if someone is markedly suicidal, prison officials must make efforts to prevent a successful suicide. The argument here, I suppose, is that the only truly efficacious way to do that is to fund a sex-change operation. Assuming a sex-change operation would be the panacea it's being peddled as being here, if we dive into that pond, where is the bottom? What of the inmate who goes to prison for life and, as a result, has his parental rights terminated and that causes depression and suicidal ideation? Does this novel legal theory mean that the state must grant him full parental access and, failing that, release him from prison to "cure" what ails him? This should be an easy case, but -- alas -- the expert fees alone confirm that it is anything but. Common sense is dead. Funeral arrangements are pending. The body will not be available for viewing. Schedule your own wake.

Indeed, in light of the current thread on curtailing descriptive language used by witnesses, I hereby announce that I find the plaintiff's theory in this case offensive, and move to strike.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 8th is a joke. It prohibits excessive bail and yet...

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since when has it become cruel and unusual punishment NOT to cut off your genitalia?

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What else have these guys, er, gals, er, well you know what I mean, what else do they have to do but sit behind bars and ascribe all sorts of injustices to themselves, via their often tortured legal interpretations.

JAS, you should've saved that for Jail Mail Theater, notwithstanding it is in another jurisdiction and that it is not your case. I believe a special waiver could be procured from Jane to allow the interpretation of this story.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone received any mail accusing you of Nifonging them?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He doesn't want his genitals. His wife pours boiling tea on his genitals, so he strangles her? Sounds like she was trying to do him a favor.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post