TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Statute of Limitations Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Statute of Limitations Question Login/Join 
posted
An individual brought a case to me alleging that a sister forged her brothers name to some real property in 1980 (2 years after he passed away).

After reviewing CCP 12.01(2)(C) it appears as if prosecution may be barred by the statue of limitations.

Logic would dictate the statute of limitations should not run until the date the fraud/forgery was discovered, but that is not the way I read this.

Is it barred?

Thanks,

John

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
agree....disagree.....anyone? Cool Confused Cool

Posts: 115 | Location: Andrews, Texas | Registered: June 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not aware of anything that helps you out here. Possibly a civil suit though?

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John L. Pool:

Logic would dictate the statute of limitations should not run until the date the fraud/forgery was discovered, but that is not the way I read this.

Since when does logic apply to the criminal law? Big Grin

I don't know of an exception off hand, sorry.

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has the perpetrator been absent from the state since 1980, say for 16 years or so? This might extend your time to file per Art. 12.05.

Posts: 245 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. He may have a civil suit, if he even has standing.

I just wanted to double check because he allegedly went "DA Shopping" and another DA told him it was within the statute of limitations and I could file it.

Thanks!

John