TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Publicity re convictions via billboards and or signs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Publicity re convictions via billboards and or signs? Login/Join 
posted
Do any of you live in jurisdictions that have advertised the average number of years sexual predators get from juries? What about the number of years and/or number of convictions for drug dealers? Would it help or hurt the local Chamber of Commerce? If you are a dealer or pervert would it keep you from moving to town or does it just encourage you to murder your victim?

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have Crimestoppers signs on most major roads comming into the county that say "You'll do time for crime in Grimes County" with the silhouette of a man standing behind bars. It is not exactly stats but it is great fodder for closing arguments.

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've got an 'Extreme Meth Makeover' billboard off of the highway that shows a woman before using methamphetamine and six years later what she looks like as an addict. It's a dramatic pair of photos that are used in posters all over town. I haven't used it in a closing argument though.

Interesting idea.

As far as sexual predators goes: I think our little town would like to keep pretending that is a big city problem. I suspect that the citizens wouldn't like a ten foot high reminder that molestation happens here.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great idea. I'm sure the city will be glad to pony up some money for that. But, as the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished. Just as you are feeling good about it, an anonymous donor may get a billboard that advertises all the not guilties by the jury and exhonerations by DNA. That could be problematic.

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tuck,

I think I've seen 4 photos of a woman who has been using Meth for a number of years. Can you tell me where you got the billboard? Just now seeing meth come into out town and maybe it will discourage a kid or two. Could you give me an email address? Thanks for the help. Beck your right I can see that one biting me in the butt come election time.

Posts: 334 | Location: Beeville, Texas., USA | Registered: September 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post