TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Thanks, Son
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks, Son Login/Join 
posted
Brees vs. Brees: NFL player tells mother to stop using his imae in political ads

By Marty Toohey
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Drew Brees wants no part of his mother's political aspirations.

The NFL quarterback and Westlake High School graduate has told Mina Brees, an Austin attorney, to stop using his picture in TV commercials as she runs for a spot on Texas' 3rd Court of Appeals, saying their relationship is now "nonexistent" after souring six years ago.

"I think the major point here is that my mother is using me in a campaign, and I've made it known many times I don't want to be involved," he said Monday.

The New Orleans Saints player said he is speaking out now because she did not acknowledge previous requests to keep him out of the campaign.

She said replacement spots have been sent to TV stations.

The commercial in question has been airing on local stations. It includes a picture of Drew Brees in a San Diego Chargers uniform (his former team) and notes Mina Brees' football ties: She is also the daughter of a successful high school coach and the sister of former University of Texas quarterback Marty Akins.

Mina Brees, a Democrat, is running for a spot on the court that reviews civil and criminal cases from 24 counties in Central and West Texas. Her opponent is incumbent Republican Justice David Puryear.

Drew Brees said that when he heard about the spots, he called his mother and asked her to stop them. She did not return his calls or stop using his image, he said, and his agent sent her a letter Oct. 20 threatening legal action.

Mina Brees, 56, said a version of the spot that omits mentions of her son Drew was taped last week and sent to TV stations Friday.

KVUE Television, an ABC affiliate, received the new version late in the day Friday, sales director Jill Fredericks said. Fredericks said that the last of the campaign's old commercials ran Sunday and that new ones were scheduled to begin airing today. Mina Brees said that "everything in the ad was true" and that she did not anticipate it upsetting her son. She said the connection to football is relevant to her campaign because through sports, her father, Ray Akins, taught her a strong work ethic that she would bring to a career as a judge. [Now, that is political spin!]

She said of her relationship with her son: "I love Drew very much, and I'm very proud of him. But sometimes when people are following a career path, they change."

Drew Brees led Westlake to a state championship in football before graduating in 1997 and becoming the starting quarterback at Purdue University.

He signed a six-year, $60 million contract in the past off-season with the Saints.

During his senior year at Purdue, he said, their relationship crumbled after he refused to hire her as his agent. He said she later undercut his dealings with other agents and tried to sell a book about him to Sports Illustrated without his knowledge.

"There is definitely history," he said. "It's got nothing to do with my career path. I've just gotten older, and my eyes have opened to the lies and manipulation." [Lies and manipulation. Hmm.]

He added that her commercials were sending a message of, " 'If you don't know much about the election, vote for me because I know Drew' . . . and that is a shame because the political process should be decided on your credentials."

Mina Brees said her son's allegations are mischaracterizations.

She said that the book was a set of her memoirs about following her son through a season and that a Sports Illustrated writer, Tim Layden, told her in response to inquiries that it would not garner much interest. She said she had no intention of becoming her son's agent but took the NFL Players Association agent test to help her and Drew's father screen prospective agents while her son was still in college.

"I have never asked for a penny from Drew," she said.

She also said she received no messages asking her not to include information about him in her campaign.

Alan Sager, chairman of the Travis County Republican Party, said Mina Brees should pull out of the race. Sager said Brees is a "morally rudderless political opportunist" who acted unethically by using her son's image for her campaign.

But Chris Elliott, chairman of the Travis County Democratic Party, said Sager is making "a mountain out of a molehill."

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I got to my forties, and I thought I had seen it all...

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in high school, I used to play football for her father. I honestly think he would be quite saddened to see this chain of events.

Posts: 62 | Location: Lubbock, TX | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i'm just more worried about how this will affect my fantasy team.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which one, the fantasy election team or the fantasy football team? You know, if Leon Lett's mom was running for something, he might screw up her bid for office, and she'd have to get a restraining order to keep his picture off her commercials.

Posts: 751 | Location: Huntsville, Tx | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.P. Merillat:
Which one, the fantasy election team or the fantasy football team? You know, if Leon Lett's mom was running for something, he might screw up her bid for office, and she'd have to get a restraining order to keep his picture off her commercials.

Only if it was a remake of the 1993 SuperBowl. Big Grin

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poor Leon, he'll never live that highlight down!

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which highllight, the Thanksgiving day field goal kick or the Don Bebe valiant losing effort swat?

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leon Lett - Wikipedia

Nope, he sure won't. If Wikipedia has it, it's etched in stone. Wink BTW, even *I* remember those moments. Ouch!

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post