TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Prior family violence conviction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prior family violence conviction Login/Join 
posted
Assault on family member can get enhanced to felony if there was a prior conviction or deferred adjudication regardless of whether sentence was probated or if def. discharged from community supervision. OK. I'm looking at an order of dismissal and discharge from deferred adjudication probation that states "this case against the Defendant is hereby set aside, the Defendant is hereby permitted to withdraw his/her plea of guilty, said complaint and information are hereby DISMISSED, and the Defendant is DISCHARGED and RELEASED from all penalties and disabilities..."(Caps in judgment) Does that language cause the prior probation to be unusable relative to the new assault or does PC 22.01(f) make it available?

Posts: 39 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Section 22.01(f) says you can use the prior if the person entered a plea of guilty or no contest in return for a grant of deferred adjudication. If the defendant entered a plea on the prior offense, you can use it, even if he successfully completed the deferred.

Posts: 21 | Location: Austin, TX, USA | Registered: November 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd run with it as a prior. Let the appellate court tell you that you are wrong. The clear meaning of the statute is to eliminate any opportunity to sidestep enhancement by adjusting the plea or the results of the probation.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sort of reads to me like the def. was allowed to w/draw his plea and the case was dismissed. If that is the case, I don't see how it could be used to enhance if it is no longer a conviction.
Of course, I could just be reading it wrong.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just read it again and I think I did read it wrong. Sorry.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can an AFV (22.01) be enhanced to a felony using an out of state conviction?

Posts: 13 | Registered: June 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Red:

The answer is NO ... but it will soon be YES. Assuming it becomes law, SB 91 expands the type of prior convictions that can be used to enhance a FV assault, and it will apply to enhanceable FV assaults committed on or after 9-1-05.

See here for the details:

SB 91 text (as finally passed)

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The order does state that the def. withdraws his plea and that the complaint and information are dismissed. It does purport to dismiss the case but I think I'll give it a go anyway since it tries to sidestep the intent of the statute.

Posts: 39 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CCP sec. 5(c)(1) says the previous deferred is admissible to be considered on the issue of penalty. Any problems with the idea that, despite the dismissal of complaint and information, use of the prior for enhancement is consideration on the issue of penalty?

posted Hide Post
That's exactly what that means.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post