TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Online Solicitation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online Solicitation Login/Join 
posted
I have charged an individual with Online who communicates in a sexually explicit manner to my undercover via Google Voice. Anyone familiar with Google Voice and how it works? AlsoDo you really think our legislature intended to prohibit individuals from talking in a sexually explict manner to minors via the internet or text messaging but not over a good old fashion phone line (whether or not a land line or cell phone)??? Any thoughts?

Posts: 4 | Location: san antonio | Registered: August 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google Voice is a VOIP service (Voice Over Internet Protocol). That seems to intuitively fit with "over the Internet" and to distinguish it from an actual wired phone line.

-L.

Posts: 11 | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about Google Voice specifically, but a VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) is nothing more than a phone line run over the internet. I use the MagicJack at home which is a VOIP as my regular phone line. It is just hooked to my computer. Again, I don't know the law in this area, but it is definately(I am somewhat of a computer geek)both a phone line and over the internet from a non-legal perspective.

mmiller@forensicdnaexperts.com
www.forensicdnaexperts.com

Dr. Monte Miller
mmiller@forensicdnaexperts.com
www.forensicdnaexperts.com

Posts: 14 | Location: Riverside, Ca, USA | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frazierj:
Do you really think our legislature intended to prohibit individuals from talking in a sexually explict manner to minors via the internet or text messaging but not over a good old fashion phone line (whether or not a land line or cell phone)???

I don't think the Legislature considered it one way or the other. PC Sec. 33.021 passed in 2005, and I don't think VoIP lines became popular until after that date. But that does not control whether the statute applies or not.

BTW, I use Vonage at home. When my internet goes out (which is rare), so does the VoIP phone service, so it is clearly "over the Internet"!

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post