TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Xochitl in the news
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Xochitl in the news Login/Join 
posted
Forum member X hasn't been posting lately. Here's what she has been up to, from the Houston Chron:

A jury will reconvene Wednesday to sentence Joshua Joyce Mauldin for burning his 2-month-old daughter in a microwave oven after finding him guilty Tuesday.

Galveston County Assistant District Attorney Xochitl Vandiver asked for a prison sentence, saying Mauldin could easily turn violent.

"That's how he behaves when he doesn't get what he wants: violently and angrily," Vandiver said.

See the Chron story here:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5643782.html

or see the CNN story here:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/03/26/microwave.baby.ap/index.html

Nice punishment argument. Short and Sweet.

[This message was edited by Greg Gilleland on 03-26-08 at .]

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
(1) Another sad example of the criminal justice system having to clean up a mess made by the mental health system.

(2) Thank you, X, for correctLY using adverbs! ("violently and angrily")
Big Grin

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is that name pronounced?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh-Chil.

One of my favorite latin quotes came to me by way of Xochitl. Useful when the law or reality is ignored..."E pur si mouve".

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
but Oh-Chil is pretty close. Thanks y'all!

Posts: 51 | Location: Galveston, Texas USA | Registered: September 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blame John Brown, X, for telling me an incorrect pronunciation of your name. It's all his fault.

posted Hide Post
"Oh, chill" is what someone from Travis County says to someone from Williamson County.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's muove, actually. For a fellow GG, you should get that right.

From Wikipedia,

The Italian phrase "E pur si muove" or "Eppur si muove" means And yet it moves. It is pronounced [epˈpuɾ si ˈmwɔ��ve].

Legend has it that the Italian mathematician, physicist and philosopher Galileo Galilei muttered this phrase after being forced to recant in 1633, before the Inquisition, his belief that the Earth moved around the Sun.

At the time of Galileo's trial, the dominant view among theologians and philosophers was that the Earth is stationary, indeed the center of the universe. Galileo's adversaries brought the charge of heresy, then punishable by death, before the Inquisition. Since Galileo recanted, he was only put under house arrest until his death, nine years after the trial.

There is no contemporary evidence that Galileo uttered this expression at his trial; it would certainly have been highly imprudent for him to have done so. The earliest biography of Galileo, written by his disciple Vincenzio Viviani in 1717, does not mention this phrase, and depicts Galileo as having sincerely recanted. The legend first became widely published in Querelles Litteraires (1761), recounting a tale published by an Italian living in London in 1757 (124 years after the supposed utterance).[1]

In 1911, the famous line was found on a Spanish painting owned by a Belgian family, dated 1643 (1645?). The painting is obviously ahistorical, since it depicts Galileo in a dungeon, but nonetheless proves that some variants of the "Eppur si muove" legend had been circulating for over a century before it was published[2], perhaps even in his own lifetime.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moved here from my earlier ill-placed posting:

Don't sweat it, GG. I didn't know my "mouve" from my "muove," either. And get back to work, Phillip. Criminals in Potter County don't speak Latin. Unless, of course, they've been chemically induced to do so. Razz

But, in anticipation of a pithy rejoinder from my esteemed colleague across the street, I recognize that, at least as far as that unquestioned repository of Internet truth -- Wikipedia -- is concerned, the above-quoted "mock-Latin aphorism" would more accurately be stated "noli nothis permittere te terere."

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make no promises that anything I post is an original thought. I had to rock the google casbah to double check spelling and meaning which popped up the Wikipedia 'no-ledge'.

Casbah reference: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/clash/rock+the+casbah_20031941.html

I'm _so_ buying this book:
Henry Beard in his 1991 book Latin for Even More Occasions (chapter I) offered some correct Latin for the sentiment, but did so in a section "Dopey Exhortations Are More Forceful in Latin", which might be his comment on the merit of the expression.

Don't let the bastards wear you down.
Noli nothis permittere te terere.

I also could have referenced the Tatoo thread out there on the forums:
Ink thread

Regardless, the inapplicable adjective, 'esteemed' made me chuckle. Not in the, I'm smoking pot because I might someday have cyclical vomiting, kind of way but you get the point.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, in my defense, I didn't use wiki, but I took the spelling from X's post in the thread referenced by Phillip, the spellmaster.

posted Hide Post
Well let me bust out a d20 and channel the spirit of Gygax.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/arts/05gygax.html?ref=opinion

posted Hide Post
No need to get medieval on anyone.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<brownman>
posted
Greg wrote: "Blame John Brown, X, for telling me an incorrect pronunciation of your
name. It's all his fault."

Greg, this is the first time I've been "called out" on the user forum. I'm flattered. But, I will also take this opportunity to try and enlist you into my crusade. I shoulder a burden to heavy to bear on my own, but, with
your help, among others, who are willing to take up the fight, we just might be able to save something truly worth saving - the adverb.

At the top of this thread you might have noticed Shannon praising X about the use of adverbs. This is a good thing. So, for you, if you are willing to help me carry the torch, I just might be able to scrounge up a TDCAA domino or poker set as a just reward. What say you?

We all know adverbs rock - absolutely.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will assist you, Mr. B, in any way possible, in your quest to save the adverb.

And my first official act would suggesting that you enlist The Newell-meister and Mr. Brumley, as they turn a phrase much more eloquently than I.

posted Hide Post
Ah, yet another virgin poster joins the forum. So, Mr. Brown, at long last is brought into verbal manhood. Welcome. Post safely, as they say. But let's not carry this metaphor too far, lest some suggest I am promiscuous.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GALVESTON, Texas (AP) - The father sentenced to 25 years in prison for severely burning his 2-month-old daughter in a microwave is declining to give up his parental rights.

The attorney for Joshua Mauldin says his client "loves his baby" and "wants to be part of Ana's life."

Ana suffered second- and third-degree burns to her left ear, cheek, hand and shoulder and has required several skin grafts. Part of her left ear had to be amputated.

Mauldin, convicted of injury to a child, was sentenced yesterday to 25 years in prison and fined $10,000.

See the story here...

http://www.kwes.com/Global/story.asp?S=8081831

Wow, just mere days ago this crook was claiming to be so raving insane that he wasn't responsible for nearly killing his baby.

Now, after the shock of a 25 year sentence, he is apparently cured and thinking in his right mind again.

I guess Xochitl may have discovered a cure to mental illness in this case: A nice, long prison sentence.

posted Hide Post
Do you get to smack them on the forehead?

"Be HEALED!!!!"

*Thwap!*

posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you get to smack them on the forehead?

Can you use a 2x4?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gordon LeMaire:
Can you use a 2x4?

I'd prefer to use the holy hand grenade.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post