TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Facility Dog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Facility Dog Login/Join 
posted
We are considering the possibility of a facility dog to help victims. Does anyone have one at their office? What agency did you use to get it? I once had a brochure from the Dallas Crimes Against Children Conference, but have misplaced it. Thanks!

Posts: 35 | Location: Nueces County | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with the Midland Rape Crisis / CAC. They had one of the first therapy dog programs for victims in the state. Their dogs are licensed through Therapy Dogs International.

If you need more information, I have tested most of their dogs, and am an evaluator for TDI - and periodically use one of my therapy dogs in my work here.

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I initiated the process to get such a dog. Unfortunately, I encountered too many practical hurdles. But this organization, based in Seattle, was tremendously helpful. They don't provide dogs, but they can help partner you with the agencies that do. I highly recommend starting here.

Courthouse Dogs

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 31, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Midland group is all volunteer - the dogs are the pets of the handlers. Handlers are trained as any other volunteer to work with the victims. In this way, the cost to the agency is kept as low as possible. Check out http://www.mrccac.org/archives/165

Lisa L. Peterson
Nolan County Attorney

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are on the second year of our facility dog. She is owned by Canine Companions for Independence. We used them because Smith County recommended them. She is fantastic. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post