TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Pen Packs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pen Packs Login/Join 
posted
Sent a request for a pen pack on February 6, 2014. Received requested pen pack today.

What's the longest lag time you've seen in getting pen packs? Not counting the ones that never come, of course.

Posts: 43 | Location: Brenham | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have stopped requesting pen packs unless we are set for jury trial and very close to jury selection and believe we are going to be reached. We then have them next day aired. To generate indictments, we get non-certified copies (or certified if easily available) emailed, faxed, etc, to us from the prosecuting counties. It is working a lot better!!!! (we have also just called TDC and gotten verification over the phone that we have the correct information in our indictments)

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would sure be nice if TDC could email us non-certified copies just to use for indictment purposes.

Posts: 100 | Location: Nacogdoches, Texas, USA | Registered: June 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been in office for 19 months. We have yet to get the first pen pack that has been ordered in my term. Its to the point that its useless.

Posts: 10 | Location: Cass County Texas | Registered: August 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We give them our Fed Ex account number if a case is going to trial, tell them we need the pen packs ASAP and TDCJ gets the pen pack to us within a couple of days. The other way or regular request is useless because the case is usually over before the pen packs arrive.

Posts: 13 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It can take a while to get the packet. That being said, the info about using Fed Ex is correct. If you are in a bind with a close trial date, call them and tell them. If you have never been to the TDCJ records building in Huntsville, you would be overwhelmed at just how much is at that one facility, and the job those folks are tasked with. I always look for Harrison Ford when I have been there, as I figure there might be a crate with the Ark of the Covenant somewhere in the building. For drafting your indictments, a quicker simpler way may be to request what we call a "Charlie Valdez" affidavit. He is the Supervisor of Offender Time and Management. His affidavit will give you everything you need regarding your inmate for drafting purposes. County, Cause #s, dates of incarceration, sequence, etc... His contact info is Charlie Valdez
Progam Supervisor
Offender Time and Management
Classification and Records

PO BOX 99
Huntsville TX 77342

Phone: 936-437-6380
Fax: 936-437-8980
Email: carlos.valdez@tdcj.state.tx.us

You can't use the affidavit to prove enhancements, as it has no photographs or ten-print card. However, it is very helpful, and we tend to get our response emailed or faxed to us within one day.

Posts: 35 | Location: Groesbeck, TX | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post