TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Posting pics of shoplifters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Posting pics of shoplifters Login/Join 
posted
I practice in a small county. We have another small town 20 miles South in another county. There is a group of shoplifters who have worn out their welcome in the neighboring town and are traveling to my County. My LE want to post pics of these "traveling shoppers" on local stores advising people to watch for them. Is this a problem?

Posts: 21 | Location: Kermit, Texas | Registered: October 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I assume they've been previously convicted? Their mugshots are probably on the internet somewhere, their convictions are public record, and what privacy right do they have in a public place? You wouldn't be posting pictures of people simply suspected of shoplifting (and therefore running into a possible defamation claim). And what is wrong with keeping a closer eye on known shoplifters? Isn't that why they're leaving their old town - they were being watched?

I'd love to see others weigh in on this.

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have one of the best places on the planet for chicken piccata. They accept checks. They also post the names of people who wrote them a hot check. The names are right behind the cash register for everyone to see.

I don't know how that's any different than what you're dealing with....I think Gretchen has it right.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dibellas.

Posts: 51 | Location: Galveston, Texas USA | Registered: September 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this any different than the places that display hot checks right next to the cash register?

Posts: 137 | Location: Corsicana, TX | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would never advise a merchant that it is permissible to post hot checks on the wall for all to see. The crook could always sue and the merchant would not look kindly on your advice. If a check writer has a conviction, that would be a different matter.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was thinking of Gus'.

Posts: 286 | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post