TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    38.23 instruction
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

38.23 instruction Login/Join 
posted
If anyone has a 38.23 jury instruction, please e-mail to me. My e-mail is on my profile.

expect it will be asked for by defense tomorrow, if he gets it, don't just want to go with his without something to compare with.

Thanks

[This message was edited by raythomas on 03-28-06 at .]

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what your issue is, but John Rolater included a handy 38.23/38.22 instruction for confessions on p 129 of TDCAA's Confessions book.

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if evidence is obtained through a search warrant, the state appeals the search warrant and the court of appeals determines that there is probable cause, does a defendant get a 38.23 instruction challenging the legality of the search?

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A defendant is only entitled to a 38.23 instruction if there is a contested fact issue for the jury to resolve. So, a defendant merely claiming that a warrant affidavit does not establish probable cause would not be entitled to an instruction because it is merely a legal issue. I'm not sure a defendant could ever create a fact issue as to the contents of a warrant affidavit.

The classic fact pattern for a 38.23 instruction is a traffic stop. Officer testifies that the defendant rolled a stop sign. Defense witness testifies that defendant came to a complete stop. That is a disputed fact issue that a jury can resolve.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that's what i thought. so now, say the search warrant was based upon the commission of one offense (offense A) and the police seize evidence of another offense (offense B). can the defendant challenge the legality of the search based upon entrapment for offense A, and does he get an entrapment instruction negating probable cause for offense A in a trial for offense B?

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post