TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    NGRI now what?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NGRI now what? Login/Join 
posted
Okay, D is charged with UUMV & Assault Public Servant (3rd degree). Found Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity. Once maximum term of imprisonment ends what do we do? (What judgment)

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the order I sent you tracks both options (a) a finding of dangerous conduct, and (b) non-dangerous conduct. Initial commitment is for 90 days, renewed for 1 yr and renewed annually subsequently - potentially, (if the standard is met, i.e.dangerousness to others only) - for the maximum term the person could have received had they been convicted, rather than acquitted. The renewal is to a state facility and the court can review (and, potentially, refuse to accept) the facility's proposal to discharge the patient.

Go to sleep for a few nights reading 46C, I proffer it as a cure for insomnia.

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda like the aircraft technical manual when I was flying, huh?

Thanks, I asked this question before the staff got the answer. I probably shouldn't be impatient.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just call me anytime - answering these questions from across the state is what I do -- I don't care whether the source is the court or either party, I'll just tell you how I read the law.

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I have one of these. Everyone agrees he was insane at time offense, both defense and our expert. Is there a standardized judgment for this?

Posts: 128 | Location: TX | Registered: March 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post