TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Mental state for DWLI?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mental state for DWLI? Login/Join 
posted
The case law that I have found indicates that a culpable mental state is not required for the offense of DWLI. However, I have seen information/complaints that contain "intentionally or knowingly" language. Which is it?

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Tran. Sec 521.457 - you don't have to (and should not) allege any mental state.

If you read through the statute, there is an affirmative defense (d), but it's defeated if notice was sent to address on license.

Posts: 33 | Location: Littlefield, Texas | Registered: June 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I know that the statute doesn't contain a culpable mental state requirement, but the argument has been made that 6.02(b) of the Penal Code applies. For the most part, it looks as though the courts have said one is not required, although there is a case out of Fort Worth (Bryant v. State, 643 S.W.2d 241) that held otherwise. However, that Court appears to have changed its mind in later opinions. Just wondering--as some of these cases are getting put on our jury dockets!!

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post