TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    stalking v. harassment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stalking v. harassment Login/Join 
posted
What's the effective difference between 42.07(a)(7) telephone harassment (to wit: making repeated tele. calls in a manner likely to harass, etc.) and the felony stalking charge of 42.072(a) that:
(1) constitutes an offense under 42.07;
(2) causes the other person to feel harassed, etc.
and;
(3)would cause a reasonable person to:
(D) feel harassed, etc.

We have a guy who has repeatedly called dispatch for the obvious purpose of harassing and annoying the dispatchers. I'm considering whether to charge the felony or go with the misdemeanor and note that harassment and this version of stalking appear to be effectively the same. How are you folks looking at these kind of cases?

Posts: 89 | Location: Snyder, Texas | Registered: November 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
42.07 requires intent. 42.072(1) gives the easier option of proving the actor "reasonably should know..."

Posts: 41 | Location:  | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you consider the dispatch number to be an individual, corporation, or association? Because otherwise it's not a "person," and you don't have harassment or stalking.

Would this fall under 42.06 or 42.061?

Posts: 198 | Location: San Marcos, Tx | Registered: June 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input, guys. That gives me something to think about. I actually hadn't considered 42.061. I don't deal with misdemeanors normally and wasn't familiar with that statute. 42.061 is actually the best fit for our facts.

Posts: 89 | Location: Snyder, Texas | Registered: November 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post