TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Court of Criminal Appeals
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court of Criminal Appeals Login/Join 
posted
The races for the three seats on the Court of Criminal Appeals are heating up. The incumbent Tom Price is facing two opponents in the Republican Primary: Carolyn Denoro and Tim Taft.

The incumbent Paul Womack if facing two opponents in the Republican Primary: Steve Mansfield and David Richards.

The incumbent Cathy Cochran currently has no opponent in the Republican Primary.

You can check out the current postings at:
http://www.texasgop.org/filings2002/

I haven't posted the Democratic filings because they haven't seemed to matter for the last few years in statewide races.

Does anyone know these candidates?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we all know who Mansfield the Bozo is.

Posts: 1 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: November 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judge Mansfield (or someone on his staff) was certainly capable of writing some astute opinions, see e.g., Smith, 897 S.W.2d 348 and Riney, 28 S.W.3d 561, and pretty well lived up to his promise to rule conservatively, so I would hesitate to bash him, though there are certainly valid questions to be raised about him.
Considering his opponents, however, he's likely to get scalped.

[This message was edited by Martin Peterson on 01-05-02 at .]

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've argued in front of Judge Mansfield about 6 times and I've always had a high opinion of him. He's a nice guy and he cares about what he's doing.

Posts: 527 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas, | Registered: May 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martin, no pun intended? smile

Posts: 172 | Location: Georgetown, Texas, USA | Registered: June 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And----if you ever want a good set of tickets to a UT game--he's your man. LOL

Robert DuBoise

Posts: 5 | Location: San Jacinto County, Texas | Registered: March 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked with Tim Taft for several years with the Harris County District Attorneys Office. Tim has a first class legal mind and was always willing to help out when a crisis reared its ugly head in trial. Tim has been on the Court of Appeals in Houston for a couple of terms and has done a good job. Tim will do a fine job on the Court of Criminal Appeals.

Posts: 17 | Location: Richmond, Texas | Registered: April 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post