New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie-napping* Login/Join 
Administrator
posted
[*no, I don't mean napping during a bad movie -- I mean kidnapping movies!]

Has anyone prosecuted a defendant under the new offense of "Unauthorized Operation of a Recording Device in a Movie Theater"? (New Business & Commerce Code Sec. 35.935. It was SB 481 last session).

If so, please let me know.

-Shannon

Posts: 2425 | Location: TDCAA | Registered: March 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no, i haven't. but i am curious to know whether the perpetrators of such a crime videotape the anti-pirating message that accompanies most movies these days.

Posts: 1243 | Location: houston, texas, u.s.a. | Registered: October 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
George Costanza was the last guy I saw charged with that one.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Rerun from "What's Happening" - tape recorded Doobie Brothers (?) concert.

Posts: 70 | Location: Sinton, Texas, USA | Registered: January 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but Rerun wasn't charged. they felt sorry for him and actually were nice to him.

Posts: 71 | Location: Henderson, Texas | Registered: June 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our strong prosecutorial presence in this county has successfully deterred such criminal acts from occurring. The fact that we have no movie theaters in our county has also helped!

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to be a Pap-paw, but I have not seen a movie worth pirating in years.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If someone is actually charged with this pirating offense, does the judge ask the defendant to stand and announce his/her plea, or does the judge instead say, "Avast, ye scurvy dog! What say ye to the charges for which you'll walk the plank?"

Posts: 1233 | Location: Amarillo, Texas, USA | Registered: March 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The defendant shall be required to wear a "puffy shirt".

Posts: 17 | Location: Orange, TX | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shannon,

shiver me timbers, Bryan PD just called me yesterday and said they were dealing with a guy hornswaggling in the theater with a recording device. I think this officer was at the PD and others still on the scene with the bilge rat. He called to ask if there was a state level offense. I gave him the Bus&Comm section (which I only knew because of your post).

Sounds like they were going to hook him up and drag him off to the dungeon hull. If so, then the County Attorney's Office here will be dealing with such a case here soon.

Yo ho ho
Godspeed

Posts: 145 | Location: Bryan/College Station | Registered: April 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It won't be the first one for us. As I remember it, the fines in that crime are really high!!

Posts: 22 | Registered: August 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post