TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Motion and Order Sealing Medical Records from Public View
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motion and Order Sealing Medical Records from Public View Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking for a sample form Motion and Order Sealing Medical Records and Affidavit from Public View. Anyone have one they'd be willing to share?

Posts: 52 | Location: 21st District | Registered: September 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sent you an email with sample order. Let me know if you don't get it.

Posts: 478 | Location: Parker County, Texas | Registered: March 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hoping you would respond! I had seen your willingness to help on this topic on posts from years ago, but didn't know if you were still around. Thanks!

Posts: 52 | Location: 21st District | Registered: September 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why file the records at all? You don't have to anymore with the changes to the Rules of Evidence effective 9/1/14.

Posts: 2137 | Location: McKinney, Texas, USA | Registered: February 15, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@JohnR - could you explain further? Obviously I have missed something as far as changes go...

posted Hide Post
TDCAA article

If you go to the Current Rules of evidence on the Texas Supreme Courts Web page you will find the proposal was adopted

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the new rules delegate that I must serve the business records on the defendant, but the business records that I was attempting to file were medical records, how do I get around that problem? We don't give copies of medical records to the defense, only allow them to review in our office. How are others handling this?

posted Hide Post
Where do you find "medical records" being distinct from "business records?" Outside of the exceptions under CCP 39.15, what authority do you have to only allow inspection of "documents, papers, written or recorded statements of the defendant or a witness" as opposed to copying by defense counsel?

Posts: 261 | Location: Lampasas, Texas, USA | Registered: November 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess our office was under the (false) assumption that medical records of our victim's were privileged documents. The defense attorney, in this particular case, has not requested copies of anything, so I assumed that notifying him of the existence of the medical records and that they are available for inspection sufficed under 39.14, but I should probably steer clear of assumptions. Our office is still adjusting to the discovery law changes, so maybe we are antiquated as to medical records. That's the reason I asked for assistance from the knowledgeable members of TDCAA.