TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    JP SERVING AS JP AND MUNI CAPACITIES?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

JP SERVING AS JP AND MUNI CAPACITIES? Login/Join 
posted
I hate to bother everyone on what seems to be a simple question, but it is one that was posed to me but I have not yet been able to find the answer to under the Code of Judicial Conduct, Constitution or otherwise. If anyone knows whether a JP can sit as a JP and a Muni judge at the same time please let me know. Thanks.

Posts: 24 | Location: Fairfield, Texas USA | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there is a specific provision allowing for it or prohibiting it, but I do know that it is done. (The municipal judge in Giddings was also the J.P., might still be.)

Posts: 27 | Location: Odessa , Texas | Registered: June 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is an AG opinion directly on point that says yes. Try a Westlaw search on AG opinions for municipal judge jp.

Posts: 31 | Location: Lockhart, Texas | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of our JPs sits as a Municipal Judge. We looked into it and found the above referenced AG opinion. You may want to contact Judge John LeFlore at (936) 825-8008. I'm sure he has the relevant AG opinion at hand

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is JM-819.

Posts: 48 | Location: Hill County | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the County and JP function perspective, is that a problem (assuming the Judge does not do city business using county resources)? No, not a county problem; they remain a JP and it is not a conflict. See prior posts in this thread.

From the City and Muni Judge Perspective, is that a problem for the city or the muni judge function? Might be -- and, fortunately, that is a problem for the City Attorney, not the DA or CA.

The judge should not serve unless both the county/DA and the city attorney both ok it, from my humble perspective.

A.D.

Posts: 341 | Location: Tarrant County, Texas | Registered: August 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post