TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Pre-Trial Motion Filing Deadline
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-Trial Motion Filing Deadline Login/Join 
posted
28.01 indicates that when a criminal case is set for a pre-trial hearing, any motions from defense (or the State) need to be filed w/ in 7 days of this hearing date unless cause is shown.

***My question is, what if there was no "pre-trial" hearing scheduled (i.e. just a bench trial date). Is the deadline to file 7 days before the trial date?***

If so, does anyone have a citation for this? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks!

Posts: 20 | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that it would be whatever deadline the court chooses. In this situation the burden is upon the movant to get a hearing scheduled and the closer to trial the motion is filed the less likely you will get a hearing "pretrial".

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the original post - does anyone have any further information on this? 28.01 Sect. 2 clearly sets out a 7-day motion deadline - useful for attorneys who get pass after pass by waiting until pre-trial to raise an assortment of issues they never mentioned before as a delaying tactic.

Posts: 79 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whether the court even sets a case for a pre-trial hearing is dicretionary. The seven-day deadline is not hard and fast; the court can always grant permission for a later filing, but must find good cause. Any ground for continuance filed less than seven days before the pre-trial hearing must arise thereafter or have been hidden (i.e, were either not exisiting or were not known). What are you considering as a "delaying tactic" aside from a valid ground for continuance?

Posts: 2386 | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post