TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Policy on extradition from other states
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Policy on extradition from other states Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have a policy on what types of cases or defendants they will extradite from other states? Example - how far will you go to get a defendant on a motion to revoke - original offense a third degree felony?

Posts: 33 | Location: Cameron, Texas | Registered: October 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a State Jail I will only extradite from states that are adjacent to Texas. NCIC allows such an entry. I have made an exception to this, but rarely. On all other felonies we will go anywhere to get them. I then put the cost of transporting them back to Texas as restitution in the judgment.

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We will generally extradite for any felony. There would have to be extenuating circumstances that would prevent us from doing so. i.e. It is a low-level, low-punshment offense and the defendant is doing very hard time elsewhere.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We go with the any felony from anywhere theory most if not all of the time. We have one now that is in PA on a state jail felony, but when they went to pick him up on our Probation Violation warrant he fought the cops up there, so now he is looking at about 3 counts of Aggravated Assault, so we won't be seeing him for awhile and depending on what he gets up there, we shall see. We do not want them to think that if they run far enough, we won't try and get them back.

Posts: 83 | Location: Caldwell,Texas,USA | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The general rule here is to bring 'em back; but like Dan says, for low level felons who catch some decent time we, too, may make an exception.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We generally extradite all felonies. Our SO has ask that we limit SJF to Texas and adjacent states unless we specifically ask otherwise. MTR/MTA's we get from anywhere. We also try and recoup expenses through restitution where possible

Posts: 233 | Location: Anderson, Texas | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I am in a small county (20,000) with limited resources, the Sheriff and I talk it over and decide the matter. We would not extradite someone from Oregon for UUMV. If the defendant has permanently relocated to another state and not followed his rules of probation while being supervised there, we will sometines figure "good riddance" and leave him there for the other state to prosecute. I know this is a "politically incorrect" answer, but we simply do not have the money! If it is a significant case, we would extradite.(We might have to have a few bake sales to pay for it, though.)

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post