TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Debate Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Debate Topic Login/Join 
posted
The 2005-2006 national high school debate topic is "Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially decrease its authority either to detain without charge or to search without probable cause."

As my son is in high school debate, I now get to hear this topic opined over dinner. Anyone else out there suffering in this way?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our topics were national health care, campaign finance reform, standardized presidential primaries and gun control. And I thought these were good ideas. Then.

Posts: 723 | Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I debated in high school, one of our topics was whether the government's right to gather information was more important than the citizen's right to privacy. Back then, the major points related to crime and Russian spies. I wonder if kids today fear terrorists to a greater or lesser degree than we worried about the communists. After all, the terrorists have actually attacked our country and killed thousands, which the Russians never did, but the terrorists don't have the capacity to burn our entire nation to a cinder, as we believed the USSR could have. Does that make us more or less concerned?

Posts: 622 | Location: San Marcos | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, John, having survived one teenager (now in college), I laughed when I read your post. Rest assurred (sp?) that you teenager knows more then the rest of us do, and will impart that to you at every turn.

Posts: 319 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: January 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the goal of highschool debate still to figure out a link between the topic and thermonuclear apocalypse?

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, you have re-triggered memories. Yes, as my son now argues, each and every affirmative cases lives and dies on the advantage of avoiding nuclear war.

The ultimate measure of a sucessful "case" still hangs on that notion.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since my small school didnt have debate, I was limited to debating with my folks for an additional hour or two of staying out with friends. Rarely did I win, but the few times I did (probably through attrition) the extra hour or so was extremely boring b/c everyone else had to be in... sigh. Now I get to hear it b/t my girlfriend and her little heathens/darlings. I guess it never ends.

Posts: 357 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of those debate topics sound like something you might find on the agenda for the annual meeting of the American Bar Association.

Posts: 293 | Registered: April 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
... and then there were the really squirrelly cases where the affirmative intentionally causes the war and claims this is actually a good thing...

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post