TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Teen legal hotline re protective orders?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teen legal hotline re protective orders? Login/Join 
posted
FYI - my office recently received a call from a person claiming to be with the state's "Teen Legal Hotline" wanting to know how we handle protective orders for minors. The only one we have ever had was years ago, involving a child who was the victim of in home sexual abuse.

Other than calling CPS - how are others handling this?

Posts: 736 | Location: Sweetwater TX | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, 82.002 (c) allows any adult to apply for a protective order to protect a child. With (d) allowing a prosecuting attorney or TDPRS authorized to file to protect any person, it becomes a question of policy as to how you want to handle the delicate circumstances.

Not being a policy maker in my office, I can suggest only thoughts regarding my own experience and ideas.

In the past, I've had one concerned parent file on their child's behalf. Typically, the mother of a daughter who's highschool boyfriend (relationship was 'developed' enough to be a dating relationship) that's gone berzerk will come in with the daughter and be more than happy to help.

We've recently had a 15 year old in need. She's married to a 28 year old. He beats her. Several allegations of family violence, no current convictions. Two pending charges including one class C assault that happened in front of the JP judge!

I guess it's going to depend on the circumstances. I would advise following the sequence of the statute. In the case mentioned above, if if an adult member of her household wouldn't file on her behalf (a), we'd ask any adult related to her to file on her behalf (c), otherwise we'd ask TDPRS to file if they were already involved, or a caseworker from the family agency or advocacy center (In this case: Friends of the Family).

The tricky part for the particular circumstances I've described is: the 15 year old is emancipated by marriage. I had her file her own application, but had she been reluctant, I think we'd have needed to file it ourselves.

Posts: 764 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the lady said she was with a non-profit and not a state agency. Seems to me people seeking information like that should be directed to TDCAA staff who can determine the legitimacy of the inquirer.

Posts: 244 | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems strange - we just got a call a few days ago from a "teen hotline" also. Are they shopping for an answer or what? In this case she wanted it against her parents because she was pregnant and was afraid her parents would kill her.

Posts: 419 | Location: Abilene, TX USA | Registered: December 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very strange - my secretary fielded a similar call in the last couple of days, advised the caller we would need to speak directly to the person seeking the order, we never heard back. Smells pretty fishy.

Posts: 160 | Location: Foat Wuth | Registered: June 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post