TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Capital Murder, multiple counts: now what??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Capital Murder, multiple counts: now what?? Login/Join 
posted
I'm pretty sure there are some prior posts on this but I can't seem to find the link, so here goes: When you have multiple counts in one capital murder indictment, e.g., murder in the course of robbery, murder in the course of sexual assault, etc., and all the charged conduct occurred during the same episode to the same victim--does the jury render a general verdict on one verdict form, or do you submit 3 separate verdict forms, one for each count? Thanks.

Posts: 23 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: April 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Counts are for different offenses and paragraphs are for different manner & means. General verdicts are the rule for same offense, different manner & means. See Kitchens v. S, 832 sw2d 256 (CCA 91). If different counts, separate verdicts are usually required. I understand you have a single offense committed in several alternative ways. Paragraphs and a general verdict should work.

Posts: 532 | Location: McKinney, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post