TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    The end of English wigs?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The end of English wigs? Login/Join 
posted
LONDON (Reuters) - Lawyers and judges are to break with centuries-old tradition and cease wearing horse-hair wigs of white fake curls in non-criminal cases, the head of the country's judiciary announced on Thursday.

The full story is here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070712/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_britain_wigs

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hair today, gone tomorrow. Big Grin

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And are you speaking from personal experience, Greg?

Posts: 264 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scott B. told me.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit pricey for a wig made from horse hair. Wonder what it would cost to get one made from Paris Hilton's hair?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The question raised is why retain the wigs in criminal cases?

Posts: 146 | Location: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To disguise the lawyers. Protects them from angry mobs.

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know the specific reason for retaining wigs in criminal cases but, if you have had the chance to watch a criminal case in London, you will agree I suspect that the outfits (wigs & robes)lend a tremendous air of formality and seriousness to the events. Can be very intimidating especially when you have an irascible judge. As John observes, the participants can look quite different too.

JAS

Posts: 586 | Location: Denton,TX | Registered: January 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that's some criminal justice reform I can live with.

let's get wigs!

Posts: 146 | Location: Dallas, Texas USA | Registered: November 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSchaefer:
Now that's some criminal justice reform I can live with.

let's get wigs!

Speak for yourself! It's hot enough already here in Texas. No need to pile on the clothes and hair.

For those of us that have {some} hair.