TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    VHS or Digital
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VHS or Digital Login/Join 
posted
I am curious to hear whether prosecutors are beginning to see videotape disappear as a recording material. To what extent are you seeing digital recording?

Also, when you make copies for others (defense, experts, etc.), do you make video or digital copies. I know of one office that has begun making all copies of video onto DVD, using some equipment that can be bought at Best Buy.

What are you seeing?

Posts: 7860 | Location: Georgetown, Texas | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have many different agencies suddenly adapting to the times by going with digital media. We have had a few problems, but not too many. There is a lot of different software out there, and the agencies all seem to be using different stuff, some more easy to use than others (and some compatable with all types of players, while others are just computer-friendly). We have at least one agency who provides us with 2 copies of the DVD (or is theirs CD-R? I forget) so we can provide one to the defense attorney. Otherwise, we require the attorneys to bring a blank disk, and we just have to tell them what type (CD-R, CD+R, DVD, etc.)

Posts: 1089 | Location: UNT Dallas | Registered: June 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the local agencies VCR/DVD recorder combos. Now they convert their tapes to disc before submitting to us. We bought a disc duplicator (only a few hundred dollars) that will duplicate the discs in a few minutes. We make copies for defense attorneys. They must supply the proper disc, or, for a nominal fee, I will sell them one.

It took a long time to figure out the editing end of it all. I didn't realize that the data had to be extracted before editing could happen. Bought a piece of software called Cinematize 2 which is available for both Mac and PC. After extracting with that program, I can edit with another piece of software. I use iMovie for Mac. Then it all gets shrunk back down to fit on a new disc.

The only real issue at this point is that extraction and then shrinking back down to put on a new disc after editing is VERY slow. You can't always anticipate the defense objections to content and we are trying to get the defense bar to give us specific objections well in advance of trial so we can make edits or get a court ruling ahead of time.

The switch to DVD and CD for pictures has done wonders for our storage. We never have to go looking for the pictures and tapes anymore. They are easily put into an envelope stapled to the inside of the file folder.

Ultimately, the next step would be to go paperless in the office and scan all reports, etc. as well as only use digital file notes. Saw a presentation on it at a recent conference.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DVD's are much easier to work with and of course, much easier to store.

Posts: 2578 | Location: The Great State of Texas | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very few of the police agencies in my county have digital cameras. We provide copies in the same format as it is given to us. In 5 years, hopefully, it will all be digital.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: June 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand DPS is getting some digital equipment. Formatted to Media player. Anything from the DPS general counsel?

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing from the DPS General Counsel, but as an assistant general counsel I can tell you that Highway Patrol is looking at converting to digital cameras. These can be stored on CD or DVD. I believe the cameras even have a nifty feature that allows the officer to capture a certain time period prior to the point he or she started the record mode. This means that the bad driving behavior would generally be on the recording. I don't know the timeframe for the conversion to digital.

Janette Ansolabehere
Asst General Counsel
DPS

Posts: 674 | Location: Austin, Texas, United States | Registered: March 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Janet, you are who I wanted anyway.

Posts: 956 | Location: Cherokee County, Rusk, Tx | Registered: July 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post