TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    PowerPoint for Voir Dire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PowerPoint for Voir Dire Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have a basic voir dire PowerPoint presentation that you would be willing to share with a novice, and which could be used and modified to fit a plethora of offenses? Many thanks,

Randy

Posts: 10 | Registered: December 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would discourage you from using someone else's "basic" powerpoint- especially one that you haven't seen used in a courtroom several times. A powerpoint which is effective will look cryptic to those who haven't seen it. Why do I have a photo of Batman and Barney Fife? What's the deal with the dog and the pillows? What point am I making with a photo of the cutest child the world has ever seen?

The converse is also true- a powerpoint that has enough text on it for someone to immediately know how to use is is virtually guaranteed to be ineffective. I also HEAVILY modify my slides, even with the exact same offense. Each voir dire is going to be addressing the strengths and weaknesses of particular cases.

Instead, I'd find several prosecutors who are good at using powerpoint and watch them. Pay close attention to the "good" users of powerpoint at TDCAA trainings (David Henderson is one of the best, ever). Pay attention to the BAD users and figure out what makes the difference. Attend the next digital evidence training with Todd Smith and Melissa Hightower. A powerpoint should be like a rifle- there are many like it, but this one is mine.

Posts: 394 | Location: Waco, Tx | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I strongly agree with Brody. I find that the more I customized my powerpoint presentations, whether for voir dire or closing arguments, the better I got to know the tiniest of details of the case and was better prepared to address the arguments of the defense. I really got a lot out of the TDCAA digital evidence training and I highly recommend it.

Posts: 109 | Location: Llano, TX USA | Registered: June 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile

I sent one to your email that might help. I obviously know that you'll modify it to fit your personality and needs but at least it will be a decent starting point.

Also, on jury selection you might want to check out Robert Hirschhorn. He has a presentation on the TYLA ten minute mentor that is helpful. Has some stuff online.

I hope you find this helpful. Let me know if you need anything else.

Posts: 27 | Location: Odessa , Texas | Registered: June 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, all, for your responses. I have found each one to be very helpful, and I appreciate your willingness to share with me.

Posts: 10 | Registered: December 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post