TDCAA    TDCAA Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Criminal    Pseudonym Allegation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pseudonym Allegation Login/Join 
posted
Proper way to allege a pseudonym in an indictment or information:

"Jane Doe"

or

"Jane Doe, a pseudonym"

or

either???????

Posts: 19 | Location: McKinney, TX | Registered: June 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't see why it would matter either way, but I've always seen it simply alleged as "Jane Doe." The only thing that matters, however you allege it, is making sure the defendant is notified in advance that "Jane Doe" is a pseudonym for [real name].

See Washington v. State, 59 S.W.3d 260 (Texarkana 2001), for some discussion.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Traditionally, we have said, Jane Doe, a pseudonym. However, I don't think it really matters as long as during testimony you explain that the girl testifying is the victim. I would make sure the defendant knows about whom you are speaking, but that is rarely a problem since it is his grandchild or some other relation.

A recent trial came up with a new problem where the defense attorney loudly called the child's father by name. The judge blew a gasket (since this effectively named the child in this small community). He cleared the courtroom except for the jury, and held the defense attorney in contempt, fining him $250 dollars. In a pre-trial hearing on the co-defendant, the defense attorney smirked and told the child victim that everyone knew who he was and so would it be allright to call him ****** (his real name). The child, to his credit, looked the attorney in the eye, and said, he should be called Jack Doe. It was a defining moment for my 10 year old victim. I knew we were going to do fine.

Posts: 374 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: July 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use a number---pseudonym 083--and keep a list of who is given which number.

Posts: 170 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: May 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post